At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to over 1,700 employees, sold over 90mm devices, and built a health and wellness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto and back again! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health & fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the perks of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, a wellness stipend, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and—above all—have fun doing it.
Fitbit’s HQ campus is located in the heart of San Francisco with office locations in Boston, San Diego, Salt Lake City and around the world. Think you’ve found your fit?
About the role:
We are a passionate team building out the tools to help our developers, customer support agents and end users diagnose and solve problems they experience with Fitbit product portfolio. We work very closely with Fitbit Device and Application Software teams. We extract diagnostics data, make sense of it and present to our users in an easy to understand and actionable format.
We’re looking for a talented leader to join and support this team as part of our eCommerce and Back Office Tools engineering organization. We strive to continually improve our code and our process, ensuring that we can deliver the best feature set to end users in the minimal amount of time. We believe that we can change lives with the work we do.
As a manager you will be growing this team both through hiring and mentoring, working with stakeholders in many of Fitbit’s global offices, and helping to push our technology forward. The team will look to you to help with technology decisions, removing roadblocks, and making sure they are working to their full potential. Together with your team you will deliver a highly performant experience for our millions of users around the globe, improve our internal tools with the goal of delivering quality software faster, and work with teams across the company to help support the award winning products Fitbit produce.
What you’ll work on:
- Grow and lead a team of software engineers collaborating on product and technology projects across Fitbit technology stack
- Coach and develop leadership skills of direct reports
- Own engineering delivery of Fitbit product support backend services with Java, Spring, Hibernate, Finagle/Finatra, MySQL, Cassandra, Kafka, Zookeeper, Prometheus.
- Participate in all aspects of product development from feature definition and estimation, to architecture, design, implementation, testing, deployment, and monitoring
- Develop, track, and communicate progress and risks to technology roadmap, maintaining alignment with product roadmap to support stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- 2+ years of experience managing software engineering teams
- 5+ years of hands-on software engineering experience
- A passion for mentoring engineers
- Focus on delivering value rather than pure engineering
Would be a plus:
- Experience with a modern, horizontally scaled SQL database (especially sharded MySQL) OR with a modern NoSQL database (especially MongoDB or Cassandra)
- Distributed messaging systems: Kafka and others
- Microservices architecture design
- Side projects or open-source contributions
- Experience designing, testing, delivering, and monitoring scalable high-availability software in a cloud computing environment, such as Amazon EC2 or Google Cloud Platform (preferred) or similar
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.