Senior Visibility Engineer
At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to over 1,500 employees, sold over 60mm devices, and built a health and fitness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use online dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health & fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the perks of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, onsite workout classes, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and—above all—have fun doing it.
Fitbit’s HQ campus is located in the heart of San Francisco with office locations in Boston, San Diego and around the world. Think you’ve found your fit?
Fitbit is an engineering driven company with a focus on providing a great, consistent, and continually available user experience. Our customers are uploading their tracking data and viewing their stats all the time, so site performance is critical to customer satisfaction. Site operations major focus is site availability while, at the same time, enabling rapid site improvement.
About our stack:
Our application stack is based mostly in Java, however most of our operations automation is developed in Python. The major components we use daily are Ubuntu/Linux, MySQL, Redis, Neo4j, Solr, logstash, Kibana, Graphite, collectd, StatsD, Nagios, Tomcat, Fabric, Jenkins, Git, JIRA, Confluence, Stash, Cassandra, Puppet, HAProxy, Nginx and Ansible. We leverage mostly externally hosted bare metal servers, with some virtualization thrown into the mix. An excellent candidate will demonstrate existing knowledge in a number of the tools we use as well as an ability to both teach others and learn new skills.
Site Operations Senior Visibility Engineer:
Fitbit is seeking a Senior Visibility Engineer. This position will be primarily responsible for managing the Monitoring, Metrics and Logging technical platforms and providing active support for all aspects of internal users of these systems. Candidates should have extensive experience in writing related automation. The position is full-time and can be based in either San Francisco or Boston. On our team, you'll build and maintain large-scale solutions on a Linux platform and work closely with the teams that use these services.
The Visibility Engineering Team is responsible for all monitoring and related platforms (currently Nagios, Prometheus, Graphite, PagerDuty and ELK).
The team’s ownership for our platforms covers both the tactical and strategic. Everything from business priority driven multi year technical roadmaps to day to day on-call. We value a strong sense of ownership and accountability.
We'll ask you to:
- Become fluent in our Infrastructure as a Service model.
- Ramp to become comfortable supporting our core services which include ELK, Prometheus, Grafana and Graphite.
- Routinely engage with our internal, highly technical customers to understand their needs and challenges so that we can use this feedback to improve our services.
- Assist with the development of new technical roadmaps and plans for implementing and improving the services that we own.
- Create new automation to reduce waste and error.
- Assist with our migration to GCP, and a transition to an immutable infrastructure model.
- Mentor and help train new staff as we grow our team internationally.
You need to have:
- Excellent organization and communication skills
- Demonstrated expertise with open source/Linux environments
- Hands-on experience designing and implementing production visibility services
- Excellent scripting skills and working knowledge of Python and shell scripts
- Experience in designing and automating repetitive processes
- The ability to work under pressure and multitask
- Experience working with Puppet and Ansible (or comparable tools)