At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to more than 1,700 employees, sold over 90 million devices, and built a health and wellness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto and back again! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health, we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health and fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of a startup with the advantages of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, a wellness stipend, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance.
In addition, we have made the following commitments to accelerate our high-performance culture and deliver on our business priorities:
- Champion the customer- to keep all of our customers top of mind, working to improve their experience and increase their satisfaction/loyalty
- Rally Together- to work as one, global, cross-functional team because together we get to stronger outcomes
- Embrace the Challenge- to recognize our unique opportunity to make an impact, taking ownership and initiative to advance our mission.
Fitbit’s HQ is located in the heart of San Francisco and we have additional offices in Boston, San Diego, Salt Lake City, Dublin, Bucharest and in various other markets around the world. Think you’ve found your fit?
Fitbit is an engineering driven company with a focus on providing a great, consistent, and continually available user experience. Our customers are uploading their tracking data and viewing their stats all the time, so site performance is critical to customer satisfaction. Site operations major focus is site availability while, at the same time, enabling rapid site improvement.
About our stack:
Our application stack uses a combination of Java and Python with a dash of Golang. We're hosted on GCP and using Ubuntu/Linux. Our tech stack includes things from large companies such as ELK (Elastic Search, Logstash and Kibana) from Elastic.co but also a lot of open source projects such as MySQL, Cassandra, Mesos, Prometheus, Grafana. We also use tools industry standard tools like Jenkins, Git, JIRA, Confluence, and Ansible. A good candidate should be conversant in some set of these tools and more importantly, should be able to teach and have the capacity to learn from others on the team.
Data Visibility Engineer:
Fitbit is seeking a Data Visibility Engineer. This position will be primarily responsible for managing the Monitoring, Metrics and Logging technical platforms and providing active support for all aspects of internal users of these systems. Candidates should have extensive experience in writing related automation. The position is full-time and can be based in either San Francisco or Boston. On our team, you'll build and maintain large-scale solutions on a Linux platform and work closely with the teams that use these services.
The Data Visibility Engineering Team is responsible for all monitoring and related platforms (currently Nagios, Prometheus, Graphite, PagerDuty and ELK).
The team’s ownership for our platforms covers both the tactical and strategic. Everything from business priority driven multi year technical roadmaps to day to day on-call. We value a strong sense of ownership and accountability.
We'll ask you to:
- Become fluent in our Infrastructure as a Service model.
- Ramp to become comfortable supporting our core services which include ELK, Prometheus, Grafana and Graphite.
- Routinely engage with our internal, highly technical customers to understand their needs and challenges so that we can use this feedback to improve our services.
- Assist with the development of new technical roadmaps and plans for implementing and improving the services that we own.
- Create new automation to reduce waste and error.
- Assist with our migration to GCP, and a transition to an immutable infrastructure model.
- Mentor and help train new staff as we grow our team internationally.
You need to have:
- Excellent organization and communication skills
- Demonstrated expertise with open source/Linux environments
- Hands-on experience designing and implementing production visibility services
- Excellent scripting skills and working knowledge of Python and shell scripts
- Experience in designing and automating repetitive processes
- The ability to work under pressure and multitask
- Experience working with Puppet and Ansible (or comparable tools)
In Fitbit’s Engineering organization, our values form the guiding principles for how we show up to work every day. We're looking for candidates who will contribute accordingly, making our organization stronger through the way they engage with their work and peers.
Fitbit Engineering Values:
- Respect the trust our customers place in us
- Own your success
- Help others succeed
- Know the “Why”
- Debate, commit, execute
- Make things we are proud of
- Leverage data to decide & iterate
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Fitbit will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.