At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007 as a team of two with one big idea. Today, that idea has become a movement. Fitbit is now a publicly traded company creating award-winning products and services that are available across the globe. We’re transforming the way the world sees health & fitness. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto.
Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the advantages of being public, offering a competitive benefits package and amazing perks. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and above all have fun doing it.
In our newest Fitbit office in Bucharest, located in the heart of the city, we are planning to build on the foundation laid by the Vector Watch team. We are looking to keep growing and this role will be fundamental to the continued success of Fitbit as we build exciting new products and services.
Fitbit’s HQ campus is located in the heart of San Francisco with office locations in Boston, San Diego and around the world. Think you’ve found your fit?
About the role
We’re looking for an engineering manager to lead a backend software team working on Device Software.
The Device Software team is responsible for implementing and integrating all software aspects to make our wearable devices function within the overall Fitbit ecosystem, encompassing back-end development as well as mobile and firmware.
As manager of a backend engineering team, you will guide and grow engineers who are building and supporting new and existing features and systems that directly impact millions of end users. You will develop and lead a team of exceptional engineers to deliver cutting-edge features in Fitbit’s products. You'll touch many different areas of the Fitbit ecosystem, so you should be aware of the larger context of your work and have a deep understanding of how platforms interrelate. This is a hands-on engineering management position involving both technical and personnel leadership.
- Build and lead a team of 7-10+ software engineers contributing to and leading development in product and technology projects
- Coach and develop leadership skills of direct reports
- Develop, track, and communicate progress and risks to technology roadmap, maintaining alignment with product roadmap
- Oversee and champion architecture and critical implementations, product and code quality, and use of best practices focused on platform development and leverage
- Develop, maintain, and implement staffing and hiring plans working closely with product teams, department management, and our recruiting team
- Participate in department processes and initiatives including budgeting and fostering a culture of engineering excellence
- Lead or participate in technology and product development project retrospectives
- 5 years experience managing software engineers with multiple simultaneous projects of varying scope
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or comparable skill
- In-depth experience in engineering or managing one or more functional areas such as:
- Distributed systems
- Programming with Java or equivalent OOP language
- Cloud services
- Database design and optimization in MySQL or NoSQL, such as Cassandra
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Familiarity with capital budgeting and portfolio planning
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience building web services for IoT devices and mobile platforms
- Experience with cloud systems design and operations
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Fitbit will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.