At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to over 1,700 employees, sold over 90mm devices, and built a health and wellness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto and back again! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health & fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the perks of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, a wellness stipend, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and—above all—have fun doing it.
Fitbit’s HQ campus is located in the heart of San Francisco with office locations in Boston, San Diego, Salt Lake City and around the world. Think you’ve found your fit?
The Dynamic Guidance team’s mission is to answer the question, “Based on what we know about each user, what is the single most effective and appropriate coaching suggestion, nudge, insight, training program, or piece of content we can offer to them, at any given point in time, to help them move towards their health & fitness goals?” This is the essence of our Premium software coaching services — to provide each user with a customized behavior change experience based on our deep understanding of their needs & their data.
The team owns and operates a number of personalized coaching and guidance features. These include but are not limited to:
- The Fitbit Coach dynamic workout video generation platform
- The Insights platform, which analyzes all of a users’ data to find relevant patterns and correlation to surface to them
- Current areas of research and development involve intelligent context-sensitive and time-sensitive behavior-change Nudges and frameworks for the formation of repeatable Habits
Scope of Role
As a Backend Engineer for the Dynamic Guidance team you will:
- Help lead projects that are executed by a mix of Backend, Android and iOS engineers
- Be a primary engineering owner & driver for a mix of various services owned by the Dynamic Guidance team -- be a champion of engineering excellence for those services
- Work cross-functionally with Development Engineering, Product Management, Program Management, Research and Design across simultaneous projects.
- Work with the team to develop and deliver cross-platform interactive features (mobile client UX and the backend services that support them) according to SDLC and SW Engineering best practices, including but not limited to:
- Requirements gathering
- Estimation and project planning
- Execution within an iterative agile development process
- Unified Engineering + QA ownership of Quality on the team
- Disciplined release, monitoring, and maintenance of all features. (Until their eventual deprecation)
- Iterative software development methodologies such as: prototyping first and quickly, live user experimentation, data collection and data-driven decision making
- Have an opportunity to expand your scope of influence to provide engineering leadership across all teams within the Consumer Services and Content group (currently: 5 teams in San Francisco, 7 more in our other offices.)
- Strong server application development experience
- Demonstrated high level skills with Golang, Java, or equivalent industry standard language
- Have excellent communication skills
- Experience developing services from requirements to production, and maintaining them
- Proven experience working on highly scalable, database-backed, networked applications
- Proficient with code reviews, test practices, and contributing to a shared codebase
- Experience leading teams, mentoring engineers, coaching teams to higher levels of productivity through engineering best practices
- Experience driving cross-team, org-spanning initiatives to improve engineering in the round (involving improvements in tooling, best practices, quality, or other engineering-driven priorities.)
Ideal Candidate Will Have
- Experience with some or all of: Ruby, MongoDB, Cassandra, distributed messaging
- Experience implementing and driving best practices around quality and software testing procedures: Test-Driven Development, UI automation testing, etc.
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Fitbit will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.