At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Today, that idea has become a movement. Fitbit is now a publicly-traded company creating award-winning products and services that are available across the globe. We’re transforming the way the world sees health & fitness. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto. Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the perks of being public—offering a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like free lunches, Friday happy hours, on-site fitness classes and more. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and—above all—have fun doing it.
Fitbit’s HQ campus is made up of three modern buildings located at the heart of SOMA in San Francisco. Monday-Friday you can feast your eyes on amazing views of the skyline, then feast yourself on some of the city’s best food trucks, lunch spots and coffee shops. When you’ve had your fill, lace up and make your way to the Ferry Building for the perfect post-work run or walk along the water (with the Bay Bridge as your backdrop)!
Think you’ve found your fit? See what we’re looking for below and apply today.
Database Engineering Team:
Fitbit’s Database Engineering team is expanding and we need smart, capable folks to help us transform the way we design, deliver and manage our data platforms. We’re looking for all levels of skill in our new team members.
To succeed in our team you will need to have a balance of MySQL or Cassandra knowledge, Customer facing technical support experience, good scripting skills (Python preferred), and a drive to raise the bar for quality via automation and smart design.
Our current platform is a blend of MySQL (Percona) and Cassandra data solutions running on Linux. We’re a large scale, highly distributed environment with both conventional sharding and some pretty unique challenges. As we move further down our Application Micro Service roadmap these challenges will become even more interesting.
At Fitbit the buck stops here when it comes to these data platforms, so while we drive the Technical Architecture and Roadmap for this space we also operate a 24x7x365 operation to ensure that Fitbit customers see the highest possible availability and performance from our apps.
- Expertise administering MySQL, Cassandra production environments at scale.
- A solid working knowledge of source control and config management tools like Git, Terraform and Ansible (or similar).
- Experience with open source tools such as Percona Toolkit, Orchestrator, ProxySQL, nagios, prometheus, jenkins.
- Experience supporting mission critical / customer facing systems 24x7.
- Experience managing and supporting DBs in a Linux based environment, preferably large scale.
- Scripting skills and working knowledge of Python or similar language.
- Experience in designing automation to eliminate repetitive processes.
- The ability to work under pressure and multitask while still holding a high standard of quality.
Duties of this role:
- Operational support for our data platforms and participation in a shared, “follow the sun” on-call rotation.
- Analysis and testing of new DB platform upgrades and enhancements.
- Collaborate with Infrastructure teams to understand and communicate new needs/requirements.
- Identify and address automation opportunities around our data platform management using open source tools.
- Capacity and Performance management of all Fitbit data platforms.
- Management of access, entitlement and security aspects of the data platforms.
- Participate in technical roadmap review and updates for our data platforms.
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Fitbit will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.