At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007 as a team of two with one big idea. Today, that idea has become a movement. Fitbit is now a publicly traded company creating award-winning products and services that are available across the globe. We’re transforming the way the world sees health & fitness. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto.
Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the advantages of being public, offering a competitive benefits package and amazing perks. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and above all have fun doing it.
In our newest Fitbit office in Bucharest, located in the heart of the city, we are planning to build on the foundation laid by the Vector Watch team. We are looking to keep growing and this role will be fundamental to the continued success of Fitbit as we build exciting new products and services.
Think you’ve found your fit? See what we’re looking for below and apply today.
About the role
Create and lead a team of exceptional engineers in our Bucharest office to deliver cutting-edge features in Fitbit’s products. You will own embedded software engineering within certain functional areas across numerous product development and technology development projects. In addition to defining technology roadmaps and strategies in your functional area, you will drive excellence in execution. This is a hands-on engineering management position involving both technical and personnel leadership.
- Build and lead a team of 7-10+ embedded software engineers and QA engineers contributing to and leading development in product and technology projects
- Coach and develop leadership skills of direct reports
- Develop, track, and communicate progress and risks to technology roadmap, maintaining alignment with product roadmap
- Oversee and champion architecture and critical implementations, product and code quality, and use of best practices focused on platform development and leverage
- Develop, maintain, and implement staffing and hiring plans working closely with product teams, firmware department management, and recruiting team
- Participate in firmware department processes and initiatives including budgeting
- May manage one or more supplier/vendor relationships
- Lead or participate in technology and product development project retrospectives
- 2-3 years of experience managing embedded software engineers with multiple simultaneous projects of varying scope
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or comparable skill
- In-depth experience in engineering or managing one or more functional areas such as:
- Communications: Bluetooth, Bluetooth LE, WLAN (802.11b/g/n/ac), NFC, LTE
- User interfaces for embedded devices: graphics/windowing SDKs, fonts, haptic interfaces, internationalization and localization, LED control
- Platforms: operating systems, system services, BSPs and drivers
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Ultra-low power / ultra-small footprint software design background preferred
- Systems engineering skills for embedded software and hardware
- Experience with commercial software development in a highly constrained RTOS environment
- Familiar with capital budgeting and portfolio planning
- Embedded software product line engineering techniques
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Fluent in English
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status