At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007 as a team of two with one big idea. Today, that idea has become a movement. Fitbit is now a publicly traded company creating award-winning products and services that are available across the globe. We’re transforming the way the world sees health & fitness. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto.
Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the advantages of being public, offering a competitive benefits package and amazing perks. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and above all have fun doing it.
In our newest Fitbit office in Bucharest, located in the heart of the city, we are planning to build on the foundation laid by the Vector Watch team. We are looking to keep growing and this role will be fundamental to the continued success of Fitbit as we build exciting new products and services.
Think you’ve found your fit? See what we’re looking for below and apply today.
About the role
We are looking for a talented Android Software Engineer eager to deliver a best-in-class mobile application. You will be directly involved in designing, developing, maintaining and enhancing the Fitbit Android application. You will be working alongside an international team of talented and dedicated colleagues who have a common goal to help people lead healthier lives. You will be responsible for proposing, evaluating and implementing software solutions that meet the need of the application. You will work with product managers, UI/UX designers, backend and frontend developers in order to create beautiful mobile user experiences that allow users to intuitively accomplish any task. Our mobile clients are a vital part of the user interface to the Fitbit platform.
Check out our current mobile app for Android at:
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- 4+ years experience in building mobile apps for Android
- Good knowledge and understanding of the Android SDK
- Object oriented software development experience with a solid grasp of algorithms and data structures
- Experience creating reusable components with elegant, intuitive API interfaces
- Experience working with databases and working with REST APIs
- Experience using a modern version control system
- Desire to work with design and product in order to define requirements
- Open minded about exploring and using new technologies
- A strong sense for when refactoring is needed
- Ability to work well in a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Fluency in English is a must
- Familiarity with Agile and Scrum methodologies
- A drive to keep performance high using profile guided optimization
- A feel for visual and interaction design
- A knack for appropriate abstraction
- Experience using Android NDK
- Experience collaborating with remote team members
- Experience working closely with product management to ship features in consumer oriented software
- Expertise in one or more of our core technology areas:
- Android UI / Graphics / Animation
- Bluetooth / Bluetooth Low Energy
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.