At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Today, that idea has become a movement. Fitbit is now a publicly-traded company creating award-winning products and services that are available across the globe. We’re transforming the way the world sees health & fitness. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto. Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the perks of being public—offering a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like Friday happy hours, on-site fitness classes and more. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and—above all—have fun doing it.
Fitbit’s HQ campus is made up of two modern buildings located at the heart of SOMA in San Francisco. Monday-Friday you can feast your eyes on amazing views of the skyline, then feast yourself on some of the city’s best food trucks, lunch spots and coffee shops. When you’ve had your fill, lace up and make your way to the Ferry Building for the perfect post-work run or walk along the water (with the Bay Bridge as your backdrop)!
Think you’ve found your fit? See what we’re looking for below and apply today.
Fitbit is an engineering driven company with a focus on providing a great, consistent, and continually available user experience. Our customers are uploading their tracking data and viewing their stats all the time, so site performance is critical to customer satisfaction.
What you'll work with:
Our application stack is based mostly in Java, however most of our operations automation is developed in Python/Go. The major components we use daily are Ubuntu/Linux, Aurora/Mesos, AWS, GCP, Spark, Hive, MySQL, Kafka, Prometheus, Jenkins, Git, JIRA, Confluence, Bitbucket, Cassandra, and Terraform. We currently use a combination of externally hosted bare metal servers and AWS but are moving to Google Cloud Platform now.
An excellent candidate will demonstrate existing knowledge in a number of the tools we use as well as an ability to both teach others and learn new skills.
- Develop and design software automation and tooling to drive efficiencies and help us scale core infrastructure that our key services are built upon.
- Develop and design process and documentation as we hand off completed toolchains to other teams to operate and utilize.
- Coordinate and assist other teams on-boarding to new infrastructure options.
- Ensure product lifecycle needs are met and understood.
- Raise organizational awareness through effectively measuring key metrics and improving dashboards.
- 5+ years of experience in operations supporting data center / cloud level needs (GCP, AWS, Azure)
- Proficiency in python/Go
- Proficient in linux system administration and operational needs (ansible, debian packaging, bazel, jenkins)
- Demonstrated skill in automating operational needs and developing tools at scale
- Communication - able to present and collaborate, moving from ideas to identifying key needs and actions
- Documentation - lay out action plans, create processes to drive efficiency and consistency, etc.
- Detail oriented to ensure both operational and organizational needs are met.
- Self motivated and driven to succeed.
- Ability to coordinate and communicate effectively via video conferencing.
- Flexibility in dealing with geographically diverse team members.
- Exceptional communication and organization skills.
- The ability to self-serve and learn quickly with a driver personality.
- Highly analytical and able to extract key insights from data and communicate them effectively to stakeholders.
- Skilled at planning and executing simultaneous projects and activities. Ability to prioritize and keep complicated projects moving forward.
- Willingness to travel to occasionally and effectively communicate with internal teams.
- History of relevant open source contributions a plus.
- Deep understanding of operational needs in a linux environment full of open source software.
- Ability to problem solve and help the organization move from where we are to future successes.
- Thrive in an evolving operational environment, responding to occasional unexpected production level issues.
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Fitbit will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.