At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007 as a team of two with one big idea. Today, that idea has become a movement. Fitbit is now a publicly traded company creating award-winning products and services that are available across the globe. We’re transforming the way the world sees health & fitness. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto.
Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the advantages of being public, offering a competitive benefits package and amazing perks. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and above all have fun doing it.
In our newest Fitbit office in Bucharest, located in the heart of the city, we are planning to build on the foundation laid by the Vector Watch team. We are looking to keep growing and this role will be fundamental to the continued success of Fitbit as we build exciting new products and services.
Think you’ve found your fit? See what we’re looking for below and apply today.
Embedded Software Engineer
Fitbit is looking for a Embedded Software Engineer to join our growing team. As an Embedded Software Engineer at Fitbit, you will have the opportunity to work on different parts of the embedded stack, from device drivers up to the UI. We're a passionate team dedicated to health & fitness who are building products that help transform people's lives. Our Engineers work on new product development from day one, working cross functionally with many other engineering organizations. With a well-rounded profile, Embedded Software Engineers at Fitbit have the freedom and flexibility to work on the technologies that truly interest them. Our Firmware Engineering team is highly collaborative, with all members making a large impact, regardless of seniority. We're looking for people who are excited about health and technology, and how these together can make a difference in people's everyday lives.
As an embedded software engineer, you will take on challenges in areas that may include:
- Develop and enable new product features in embedded software
- Design and implement system technologies, such as data management and transport
- Create user interfaces, collaborating with our UI/UX designers
- Develop user-facing applications for wearable devices
- Write drivers and support for hardware / peripherals
About The Teams
The Software Engineering organization in Bucharest has several teams addressing different aspects of the business. In any of these teams, you will be able to contribute to world class developed applications.
The Device Software UI&Apps team works on embedded software that brings our devices to life: user interfaces, applications, and all other user-facing features. The team work closely with UX design team, reviewing design specifications and then implementing them into code. You will use your programming skills to work on all levels of the graphics stack, from the graphics driver and application framework up to the user interface definitions.
The Device Software Platforms team is responsible for the development and maintenance of the operating systems and firmware stacks that run on all Fitbit devices. A high degree of reliability and resource-efficiency are paramount to deliver quality products and great user experience. Our main support is to the internal product and functional teams and, ultimately, to our end users.
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or comparable skill
- Proven strong C development and software architecture skills
- 3+ years professional experience working in RTOS (or embedded Linux) and/or bare metal environments
- Proven strong understanding of software design - technology, methods and approaches
- In-depth experience with one or more functional areas such as:
- Communications: Bluetooth, Bluetooth LE, WLAN (802.11b/g/n/ac), NFC, LTE
- User interfaces for embedded devices: Wayland protocol, graphics/windowing SDKs, fonts, haptic interfaces, internationalization and localization, LED control
- Platforms: operating systems, system services, BSPs and drivers
- Multimedia: audio and/or video development in embedded products
- Sensors and signal processing: sensor data acquisition, conditioning, filtering, and processing, algorithm integration and optimization
- Experience with hardware debug and ultra low power / ultra small footprint software design is preferred
- Technical leadership of embedded software development teams
- Mentoring interns and recent graduates in industry best practices
- Systems engineering skills for embedded software and hardware
- Embedded software product line engineering techniques
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Fitbit will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.