At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to more than 1,700 employees, sold over 90 million devices, and built a health and wellness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto and back again! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health, we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health and fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of a startup with the advantages of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, a wellness stipend, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance.
In addition, we have made the following commitments to accelerate our high-performance culture and deliver on our business priorities:
- Champion the customer- to keep all of our customers top of mind, working to improve their experience and increase their satisfaction/loyalty
- Rally Together- to work as one, global, cross-functional team because together we get to stronger outcomes
- Embrace the Challenge- to recognize our unique opportunity to make an impact, taking ownership and initiative to advance our mission.
Fitbit’s HQ is located in the heart of San Francisco and we have additional offices in Boston, San Diego, Salt Lake City, Dublin, Bucharest and in various other markets around the world. Think you’ve found your fit?
Fitbit is an engineering driven company with a focus on providing a great, consistent, and continually available user experience. Our customers are uploading their tracking data and viewing their stats all the time, so site performance is critical to customer satisfaction. Site operations major focus is site availability while, at the same time, enabling rapid site improvement.
What you'll work with:
Our application stack is based mostly in Java, however most of our operations automation is developed in Python. The major components we use daily are Ubuntu/Linux, MySQL, Redis, Neo4j, Solr, logstash, Kibana, Graphite, collectd, StatsD, Nagios, Tomcat, Fabric, Jenkins, Git, JIRA, Confluence, Stash, Cassandra, Puppet, HAProxy, Nginx and Ansible. We leverage mostly externally hosted bare metal servers, with some virtualization thrown into the mix.
An excellent candidate will demonstrate existing knowledge in a number of the tools we use as well as an ability to both teach others and learn new skills.
- Develop and design software automation and tooling to drive efficiencies and help us scale core infrastructure that our key services are built upon.
- Develop and design process and documentation as we hand off completed toolchains to other teams to operate and utilize.
- Coordinate and assist other teams on-boarding to new infrastructure options.
- Ensure product lifecycle needs are met and understood.
- Raise organizational awareness through effectively measuring key metrics and improving dashboards.
- 5+ years of experience in operations supporting data center level needs
- Proficiency in python
- Proficient in linux system administration and operational needs (puppet, ansible, debian packaging, bazel, jenkins)
- Demonstrated skill in automating operational needs and developing tools at scale
- Communication - able to present and collaborate, moving from ideas to identifying key needs and actions
- Documentation - lay out action plans, create processes to drive efficiency and consistency, etc, etc, etc.
- Detail oriented to ensure both operational and organizational needs are met.
- Self motivated and driven to succeed.
- Ability to coordinate and communicate effectively via video conferencing.
- Flexibility in dealing with geographically diverse team members.
- Exceptional communication and organization skills.
- The ability to self-serve and learn quickly with a driver personality.
- Highly analytical and able to extract key insights from data and communicate them effectively to stakeholders.
- Skilled at planning and executing simultaneous projects and activities. Ability to prioritize and keep complicated projects moving forward.
- Willingness to travel to occasionally and effectively communicate with internal teams.
- History of relevant open source contributions a plus.
- Deep understanding of operational needs in a linux environment full of open source software.
- Ability to problem solve and help the organization move from where we are to future successes.
- Thrive in an evolving operational environment, responding to occasional unexpected production level issues.
In Fitbit’s Engineering organization, our values form the guiding principles for how we show up to work every day. We're looking for candidates who will contribute accordingly, making our organization stronger through the way they engage with their work and peers.
Fitbit Engineering Values:
- Respect the trust our customers place in us
- Own your success
- Help others succeed
- Know the “Why”
- Debate, commit, execute
- Make things we are proud of
- Leverage data to decide & iterate
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Fitbit will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.