We are looking for an experienced Controller, who will ensure the prompt recording and accuracy of all financial transactions handling Internal Financial Reporting, Tax, Audit, and Financial Systems. The Controller is responsible for all day-to-day operations of the Accounting department and will report directly to the CFO. This individual must be a senior leader, who is a change agent and driver of innovation willing to challenge the status quo from both an operational and team perspective. We are seeking a self-starter, who has worked at a large media or entertainment brand and has had exposure to non-profit financial management. This executive will foster an entrepreneurial spirit, leading an established team and recruiting top talent. The Controller will oversee a team of three (3).
General Financial Accounting & Reporting:
- Provide leadership and vision for scaling the financial infrastructure and our accounting team
- Lead the timely and accurate monthly, quarterly and annual financial close process and all associated activities, including financial & statutory reporting requirements. Oversee all Accounting Transactions relating to general ledger, receivables, payables, payroll and financial reporting. Ensure timely and accurate financial information is available to decisionmakers via periodic management financial and key metric reports
- Manage the day-to-day accounting operations for studios including accounting for accounts payable, accruals, receivables, revenue, deferred revenue, cash, participations & residuals, intracompany and NetSuite hierarchy maintenance. Analyze collectability of receivables and recommend appropriate reserves in accordance with policy
- Interpret contracts including original content license agreements and co-production agreements as it relates to billing and revenue recognition
- Manage revenue recognition of original content made for both internal and external customers in accordance with ASC 606
- Coordinate with production audit team at the conclusion of 3rd party production audits to ensure close out billing and collection
- Work closely with FP&A and peers managing content costs to ensure alignment with inventory, amortization, and revenue
- Be the technical accounting decision-maker for the company. Ensure consistent implementation of corporate accounting principles and procedures in full compliance with US GAAP
- Provide technical accounting expertise for current and future transactions
- Design and effectively communicate robust presentations to senior executives related to accounting and operational results and updates
- Drive improvements in existing and new reporting systems to increase efficiencies, enhance processes, automate activities, and reduce reporting timelines
- Support the CFO and Finance Team leaders for all internal control related initiatives to ensure auditors can rely on controls-based audit engagements.
- Work with external auditors, including mid-year and year-end financial audits, Sarbanes Oxley, Participation & Residuals, Production and periodic internal operational/financial audits
- Monitor and review all accounting processes to ensure controls are in place to prevent, detect, and correct errors
- Identify key risk areas impacting controls and recommend mitigating actions/processes
- Maintain effective accounting policies that are consistent with the current body of accounting literature/pronouncements. Write technical memos documenting policy and/or guidance changes, as needed
- Update and maintain quality process documentation for the department, as needed
- Assist in quantifying impacts of change in corporate accounting policies, regulatory changes and develop business specific policies
- Support and actively participate in the continued development and enhancement of the accounting and finance sub-systems to meet the needs of the organization
- Undertake other special projects as requested by the CFO
- Promote a team environment and provide work direction and guidance including coaching, mentoring, professional development, and training. Foster an environment that promotes a high performing team atmosphere with motivation to learn and grow.
- Clearly communicate roles and responsibilities while encouraging cross function training and knowledge
- Develop and maintain a succession plan reflective of the overall strategy of the department
- Encourage the team to contribute ideas and resolutions in a safe environment
Background & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and CPA is required
- 10+ years financial accounting skills and controls experience out of Public Accounting and Media, Entertainment, Service Companies (Film and TV, Digital, Production)
- Proven knowledge of U.S. GAAP, Technical Accounting, Financial Reporting, Financial Reporting Systems and Revenue Recognition is needed
- Advanced knowledge of ASC 926 Entertainment—Films, ASC 606 Revenue from Contracts with Customers and ASC 920
- Strong understanding of “Film Ultimates” as they relate to ACS 926
- Strong knowledge of NetSuite
- Experience with consolidations and integrations of acquired businesses
- Experience with international transactions and foreign exchange
- Strong organizational, leadership, communication, and customer service skills with pride in accuracy and great attention to detail
- Able to deal with and assess ambiguous situations while interacting with the correct individuals to resolve the matter
- Ability to build and lead an effective team and can stand alone on identifying opportunities and improving efficiencies
- Thorough professional training and expert in accounting principles, systems and controls, and advanced analytical skills/insights
- A good understanding of database systems and computer literacy in relevant accounting systems
- Exceptional management and interpersonal skills are required. Must be able to motivate beyond organizational lines to successfully achieve objectives
- Confidence to represent the Finance function and influence associates across all levels
- Ability to identify and mitigate risks that could jeopardize FLM operation
- Demonstrate the ability to recommend innovative changes in the measurement and the reporting of business performance that meet the dynamic needs of the organization
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite: Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Adept in creating analysis and presentations in Excel and PowerPoint, respectively
- Exposure to international operations would be a plus
- Non-profit experience a plus
Compensation (NYC Only): The salary range for this role is $180,000 - $200,000 annually. The salary offered will be determined based on relative experience, skillset and other job related factors.
About FIRST LOOK MEDIA:
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, FLM was founded on the fundamental belief that freedom of expression and of the press, and the power of storytelling, are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
About TOPIC STUDIOS
Topic Studios is the award-winning entertainment studio from First Look Media that develops, finances and produces provocative and entertaining content for all platforms including theatrical, streaming, television and podcasts.
The Studio is behind such notable films as Nikyatu Jusu’s Nanny (with Stay Gold Features and Linlay Productions), winner of the U.S. Dramatic Grand Jury Prize at the 2022 Sundance Film Festival; the Academy Award®-winning Spotlight; Pablo Larraìn’s Spencer, starring Kristen Stewart (Golden Globe® nominee for her performance) as Princess Diana (with NEON); The Mauritanian, starring Jodie Foster (Golden Globe® winner for her performance), Tahar Rahim (Golden Globe® nominee for his performance), Benedict Cumberbatch, and Shailene Woodley (STX); and Adam Leon’s Italian Studies starring Academy Award® nominee Vanessa Kirby (Magnolia Pictures). Acclaimed documentaries from the Studio have included the big wave surfing series, 100 Foot Wave, recently renewed for a second season, and the Film Independent Spirit Award-nominated, three-part series, Nuclear Family, both on HBO/HBO Max; The Fight, co-released with Magnolia Pictures; the Film Independent Spirit Award-nominated docuseries Love Fraud on Showtime; Lucy Walker’s wildfires documentary Bring Your Own Brigade, on Paramount+; and Mucho Mucho Amor on Netflix. Pioneering podcasts have included Pulitzer finalist and IDA Award-winning investigative podcast Somebody, with iHeartMedia; John Cameron Mitchell’s Anthem featuring Glenn Close, Cynthia Erivo and Patti LuPone; and The Messenger and American ISIS on Audible Plus. The Studio is also ramping up its scripted television division with the Untitled Martin Lawrence Project, based on the acclaimed Israeli “HOT” series Nehama; also the Untitled Vincent Chin Project, a scripted drama limited series created by Marilyn Fu with Destin Daniel Cretton (Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings) attached to direct (in partnership with Amazon); and two premium dramas arising from the Studios’ previous first-look deal with Tracy Oliver (Harlem), including the adult thriller Savannah with PKM Productions for Amazon Studios
About TOPIC SVOD
Topic is the boundary-pushing streaming service from First Look Entertainment for thrillers, mysteries, dramas and documentaries from around the world, serving viewers who crave entertainment beyond the mainstream. Whether it’s a Nordic-noir crime thriller (The Killing), an Italian supernatural political drama (The Miracle), or a haunting true crime docu-series from the UK (The Missing Children), Topic expands your view of the world.
Featuring North American premieres, exclusive TV series and film, and programming from more than 40 countries, Topic showcases an unparalleled collection of creators, perspectives and experiences. Complemented by our Topic Originals, we prioritize bold storytelling and champion underrepresented voices. Topic Originals and exclusives include Oscar® nominee The Letter Room (starring Oscar Isaac), Lambs of God (starring Ann Dowd), BAFTA® nominee The Virtues (starring Stephen Graham), Emmy® nominee The Accidental Wolf (starring Kelli O’Hara), Dark Woods, Gotham Award winning Philly D.A., and Soul City (directed by Coodie & Chike).
Topic is available to US and Canadian audiences on topic.com, AppleTV & iOS, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Android & Android TV, Samsung, Apple TV Channels, Roku Premium Channels, Bell Fibe, Amazon Prime Video Channels, Comcast and Comcast’s entertainment platforms, including Xfinity X1, Xfinity Flex and XClass TV. Topic is part of First Look Entertainment which also includes Topic Studios, the award winning entertainment studio which develops, finances, and produces content for all platforms.
About First Look Institute:
First Look Institute is a nonprofit organization committed to fearless reporting, bold filmmaking, and defending those who speak truth to power. By empowering journalists to unearth injustices, unbeholden to outside influences, by investing in a generation of trailblazing filmmakers; and by protecting risk-taking reporters and whistleblowers from retribution, First Look Institute vigilantly defends our First Amendment rights so democracy can flourish. First Look Institute is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
About the Press Freedom Defense Fund:
The Press Freedom Defense Fund provides essential legal support for journalists, news organizations, and whistleblowers who are targeted by governments, corporations, or other powerful figures because they have tried to bring to light information that is in the public interest and necessary for a functioning democracy. The Fund also provides legal resources for operational needs of reporters and news organizations through a pro bono law firm and provides training and education programs to an array of journalists, lawyers, and nonprofit organizations.
The Press Freedom Defense Fund fearlessly and relentlessly dedicates itself to protecting freedom of the press. Free speech should be regarded as a right, investigative reporting a duty, and whistleblowing an act of bravery. The Press Freedom Defense Fund Advisory Committee includes Jameel Jaffer, Tom Rosenstiel, Sandy Rowe, Dave Schulz, and Nabiha Syed.
About The Intercept
The Intercept is an award-winning nonprofit news organization dedicated to holding the powerful accountable through fearless, adversarial journalism. Its in-depth investigations and unflinching analysis focus on surveillance, war, corruption, the environment, technology, criminal justice, the media and more.
About Field of Vision
Field of Vision is a filmmaker-driven organisation that commissions filmmakers and artists with developing and ongoing stories around the globe. Field of Vision is committed to advocating for the rights and needs of filmmakers, and supporting cinematic innovation and representation. Recent projects have included the Oscar®-winning feature AMERICAN FACTORY, the Oscar®-nominated features STRONG ISLAND; HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING; and Oscar®-nominated shorts A NIGHT AT THE GARDEN and IN THE ABSENCE, as well as the Emmy-winning feature CRIME + PUNISHMENT, and Emmy-nominated short THE SURRENDER.
Founded in 2015 and led by Co-Founder and Executive Producer Charlotte Cook, Field of Vision has commissioned, produced and/or supported more than 130 films - 45 features, 5 episodic series, and 85 short films. Field of Vision has an ongoing commitment supporting innovation and diversity and as such 54% of Field of Vision-supported films have been directed by women and 43% by filmmakers of color. This work has premiered at Sundance, Cannes, Toronto, Berlin, SXSW, Hot Docs, Tribeca, and IDFA, among many other festivals, winning multiple Grand Jury and other awards and nominations.
Distribution partners represent a wide range of media, from publishers the New Yorker and The Intercept and Teen Vogue; distributors NEON, Showtime, BBC, PBS, Hulu; and, exhibitors New York's IFC Center and London's Institute for Contemporary Arts.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer - People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.