Topic is looking for an Assistant Editor who is a bit of a tech-nerd with an interest in entertainment and storytelling. The ideal candidate will be extremely organized, with a passion for process and operations.
While not specifically a creative position, this job supports the creative community and is an amazing opportunity for the right person to grow with the company.
The Assistant Editor will be an integral member of the Topic team and will report to the Sr. Post Production Coordinator.
- Asset Management
- Collate technical deliverables including video files, caption files, textless elements and alpha graphic channels
- Download high volumes of content, including batch deliveries of series and films
- Organize all media assets for current and future edits
- Quality Control
- Watch video files down for any video or audio hits or miscellaneous issues
- Remove flash frames, jump cuts, extraneous foreign graphics, or any other video errors to meet delivery requirements
- Versioning files for all closed captioning needs for various SVOD channels
- Syncing closed captioning as well as foreign language subtitling
- Log all technical metadata and format based on the metadata requirements
- Reformat acquired TV series and films in compliance to streaming standards and practices
- Build out sequences in Adobe Premiere Pro in the correct specs for publishing to respective channels
- Upload all versions of the video and caption files for delivery and archive
- Other appropriately related projects/duties as assigned
Background & Qualifications:
- 2 - 4 years post production experience
- Technically proficient with working knowledge of Creative Cloud and all affiliated software
- Knowledge of various audio and video file types, compressions, aspect ratios
- Highly organized with an ability to multitask and strong attention to detail
- Interest in operations, creating systems and process
- Excellent computer skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience in video workflow
- Strong desire to learn more about post process, technologies, etc.
- Ability to be hands on as needed, “owner mentality” and accountability is a must
Topic is the boundary-pushing streaming service from First Look Entertainment for thrillers, mysteries, dramas and documentaries from around the world, serving viewers who crave entertainment beyond the mainstream. Whether it’s a Nordic-noir crime thriller (The Killing), an Italian supernatural political drama (The Miracle), or a mind-blowing paranormal mystery from Russia (Dead Mountain), Topic expands your view of the world.
Featuring North American premieres, exclusive TV series and film, and programming from more than 40 countries, Topic showcases an unparalleled collection of creators, perspectives and experiences. Complemented by our Topic Originals, we prioritize bold storytelling and champion underrepresented voices. Topic Originals and exclusives include Oscar® nominee The Letter Room (starring Oscar Isaac), Lambs of God (starring Ann Dowd), BAFTA® nominee The Virtues (starring Stephen Graham), Emmy® nominee The Accidental Wolf (starring Kelli O’Hara), Dark Woods, Gotham Award winning Philly D.A., and Soul City (directed by Coodie & Chike).
Topic is available to US and Canadian audiences on topic.com, AppleTV & iOS, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Android & Android TV, Samsung, Apple TV Channels, Roku Premium Channels, Bell Fibe, Amazon Prime Video Channels, Comcast and Comcast’s entertainment platforms, including Xfinity X1, Xfinity Flex and XClass TV. Topic is part of First Look Entertainment which also includes Topic Studios, the award winning entertainment studio which develops, finances, and produces content for all platforms.
ventional – reflects our commitment to discovering and amplifying independent new voices, and supporting established ones.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Topic, The Nib and Field of Vision, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer - People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.