The Manager, Post Production will be responsible for managing all aspects of post production within the production vertical; overseeing the delivery of all of Topic Studio’s projects across formats — film, television, unscripted and podcasts; and supporting each vertical and their executives in their projects’ post needs.
A background in Post Production Supervising and/or at a post house is preferable. The ideal candidate will be extremely organized, with a passion for process and operations and a specific knowledge of the technical aspects of video and audio delivery. Must be detail oriented, adept at multi-tasking, and a clear communicator. Individual will need to manage urgent deadlines, track many moving pieces and liaise between many parties - A diplomatic and solution-oriented attitude is a must. This position supports the creative community and is an amazing opportunity for the right person to grow with a progressive and unique company. This is a staff position reporting to the VP of Production.
- Lead all aspects of post production for each Topic Studios Scripted Film, Scripted Series, Documentary, Unscripted Series and Podcast project from green light through to delivery, including:
- Assess and advise on line items in budgets related to post production.
- Assess and advise on post production and delivery plan, including deliverable requirements.
- Source, vet, hire and manage post production crew including editors, assistant editors, post supervisors, mixers and colorists, including negotiating bids and rates.
- Maintain regular communication and tracking project process throughout the post production phase.
- Manage post production calendars for each project as well as a master studio calendar. Update and communicated schedules regularly.
- Track and archive versions and notes from rough cut through to delivery
- Communicate all deliverables - both technical and documents - to parties responsible for their creation. Collect and review and QC all delivery items, working with producers, legal and finance, to assure all requirements are met.
- Lead the physical delivery of each project in all aspects, working directly with distributors to assure their needs are met and delivery is accepted.
- Topic Branding - version and distribute Topic logos externally
- Topic Library - maintain and update Topic’s library of delivered projects.
- Asset Storage - work with relevant teams to duplicate and archive digitally and then physically store all assets from each project.
- Wrap Bibles - create and store wrap bibles for each project
- Resources - help to build and maintain database of post production resources including production staff and preferred vendors in top markets. Develop favorable relationships.
- Deliverable Requirements - help to update and improve internal deliverable requirements.
- Screenings - help set up internal screenings as well as work with PR on external submissions and screenings (festivals, events, etc)
- Finance - work with production finance to ensure accurate and timely payments and track post production budgets.
- Strategic Planning - develop new ideas to streamline processes, build relationships with talent and vendors, continuously improve on post production department workflow and efficiency.
Background & Qualifications:
- 5-8 years Post Production experience in scripted and unscripted film and television
- Experience and comfort with post production and finishing workflows in scripted and unscripted film and television
- Technically inclined with working knowledge of various audio and video file types, and studio, network, streamer and digital deliverables
- Highly organized, ability to multi-task, careful attention to detail
- Comfortable handling multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Interest in operations, creating systems and process
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience working with third party production companies a plus
- Strong desire to learn more about post process, technologies, etc
About First Look Media
Boundary-defying innovation. Fierce independence. A deep passion for exploration and excellence defines First Look Media. We are a unique enterprise with one purpose and two missions.
Our for-profit houses Topic Studios, an award-winning entertainment studio that operates across film, television, and podcasts and brings to the screen some of the most culturally significant and provocative stories of our time. We also launched our new Topic branded streaming service, with premier, original, and hand-selected programming from around the globe available on Roku, Apple TV, iOS, Amazon Fire and Android with more coming soon.
Our non-profit is home to The Intercept, renowned for its dedication to fearless, adversarial journalism; Field of Vision, the critically acclaimed, filmmaker-driven documentary unit; and The Press Freedom Defense Fund, supporting journalists, news organizations and whistleblowers standing up for press freedoms and access to information that is in the public interest. Our work here breaks stories through fearless, investigative journalism, produces documentary cinema that explores the world through fresh new perspectives, and supports those who are unjustly threatened in pursuit of a free and open society and press.
Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was founded on the fundamental belief that freedom of expression and of the press, and the power of storytelling, are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
Topic is the flagship streaming service from First Look Media, curated for a curious and engaged audience seeking smart, provocative and meaningful entertainment. The rapidly growing service features North American premieres and exclusive programming from around the world, complemented by a diverse slate of Topic Originals.
Programming on Topic includes: the comedic variety series Second City Presents: The Last Show Left on Earth; Down from London from executive producer Sharon Horgan; horror anthology series Soul City from filmmakers Coodie and Chike; the dramatic series The Virtues from filmmaker Shane Meadows starring Stephen Graham; Maria Bamford’s discussion show on mental health, What’s Your Ailment?!; and international thriller, Pagan Peak.
Topic is available to US and Canadian audiences on Topic.com, Apple iOS, and AppleTV, Android, Amazon Fire TV, and Roku, in addition to Amazon Prime Video Channels, Apple TV Channels, and Roku Premium Channels.
About Topic Studios
Topic Studios is the award-winning entertainment studio from First Look Media that develops, finances and produces provocative and entertaining content for all platforms including theatrical, streaming, television and podcasts.
The Studio is behind such notable films as the Academy Award® winning Spotlight; the critically acclaimed documentary The Fight; the Emmy Award® winning and Peabody® nominated 16 Shots and the docu-series Love Fraud, both on Showtime; Mucho Mucho Amor and the Emmy® nominated docu-series Losers, both streaming on Netflix; and pioneering podcasts including Missing Richard Simmons, the Peabody® nominated Running from COPS, John Cameron Mitchell’s Anthem featuring Glenn Close, Cynthia Erivo and Patti LuPone, and the investigative podcast Somebody.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.