Our Creative Team is seeking an Art Director with great aesthetic sensibilities that lives and breathes design, typography and motion GFX. Our team supports the creative needs of First Look Media and all of its brands, with a majority of that support allocated to Topic, a new streaming service with curated content from around the world. Projects will include everything from developing and pitching key art and motion graphics packages, helping to maintain brand quality standards, to creating promotional content and marketing campaigns, to working on presentation decks.
The ideal candidate will have experience in direct to consumer entertainment (TV, film, streaming), social media and video content creation. They should be familiar with our brands, and all of the platforms where our presence and content live, including Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Amazon, Apple TV, Roku, and Snapchat. They should also have a passion for supporting independent voices, storytelling and journalism, and an appreciation for meaningful content.
We are looking for a talented and hands-on Art Director that is incredibly hard-working, highly motivated, creative and imaginative, organized and efficient, adaptable, energetic, kind, positive, professional, collaborative, supportive, a great communicator, and with an overall great work ethic. We currently have a solid foundation, and we are looking to build on that. This role will require collaboration with designers, video editors, motion designers, illustrators, photographers, producers, filmmakers and talent, and the ability to work well, be professional, communicate effectively and help guide others and elevate creative to its highest potential is very important.
The Art Director will help manage our visual representation through design and video across platforms while working on brand creative initiatives, and promotional integration to create cohesive, recognizable brands. The Art Director will give direction for all strategic priorities including the engagement and retention of audiences and will help to elevate the quality of design for Topic’s brand to the consumer, creative and media/entertainment industries. This role will report to the VP, Design & Creative, under First Look Media’s Marketing team.
- Collaborate with the First Look Media marketing and creative teams (SVP of Marketing, VP of Design & Creative) to help maintain and evolve the visual identities for our brands, and have those aesthetics reflect each brand’s core values.
- Be highly collaborative and adaptable with teams and individuals across all of First Look Media brands to tackle new initiatives, and meet unexpected challenges.
- Participate and facilitate in creative brainstorming sessions, including campaign development, creative briefs and execution, as well as overall department, and company goals.
- Present creative work passionately and persuasively to stakeholders across the organization and externally.
- Collaborate with Head of Creative, designers, video editors, motion designers, animators, illustrators, photographers, writers, contractors, producers, filmmakers, talent and other creative partners on projects of various scales that will support larger brand vision, voice and goals.
- Build strong, supportive, and constructive relationships throughout the creative team and cross-functionally across the organization.
- Keep the consumer and business needs at the forefront and balanced with all creative and branding decisions.
- Develop key art, motion graphics packages and show opens for film and digital series.
- Develop and execute marketing campaigns.
- Design and resize ads, and other promotional / marketing content (digital, print and OOH).
- Designing presentations in InDesign, Key Note and PowerPoint.
- Own individual projects from conception to completion.
- Work collaboratively with other team members to tag team shared projects.
- Offer direction, guidance and support to other team members on the same projects.
- Work to constantly push, evolve and elevate the work.
- Being diligent about keeping the Head of Creative and project managers in the loop regarding the status of all projects.
- Hosting workshops and tutorials to share any tips and techniques that may help the collective team grow or improve process.
- Staying on top of industry trends, advancements and new storytelling techniques that could elevate the work.
- Help to solve creative and technical problems, evolve our processes and shape our team.
- Work within our file structure system and keep files extremely organized.
- Other appropriately related projects/duties as assigned
Background & Qualifications:
- Minimum of 8 years of digital design experience, preferably in film, television, entertainment, or social media.
- Bachelor's degree or similar in design, motion graphics, advertising, fine art or related field.
- Experience developing key art, motion graphics packages, and working on marketing campaigns highly preferred.
- A love for design, typography, motion and entertainment content.
- Proven track record of successfully collaborating with content, marketing, creative and technical teams.
- Strong sense of visual storytelling and visual aesthetic.
- Exceptional conceptual and design skills and a robust portfolio that demonstrates this.
- Hands-on knowledge of industry standard image tools, including Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, AfterEffects, Premiere).
- Ability to take feedback as a process and a means to build something even better.
- Ability to work well under tight deadlines and can prioritize the needs of multiple assignments.
- Ability to gauge and manage your own time, as well as the times of others, including contractors.
- Ability to roll-up your sleeves and get things done in a startup environment.
- Ability to present ideas clearly and thoughtfully.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to communicate and work well with multiple teams.
- Self-starter who is a detail-oriented, and enthusiastic team player.
- Passion for working in a collaborative team, and in a fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional design aesthetic, solid typography skills and awareness of design trends.
- Public recognition from the design community and recipient of design award a plus.
Topic is the entertainment studio and ambitious storytelling brand dedicated to supporting creators at the forefront of culture. From Academy Award®-winning films (Spotlight) to television (Losers), digital (aka Wyatt Cenac) and podcasts (Anthem, Missing Richard Simmons), we explore a wide range of subject matter, both fiction and nonfiction. Our approach – challenging, compelling and unconventional –reflects our commitment to discovering and amplifying independent new voices and supporting established ones.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Topic, and Field of Vision, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.