The Intercept is seeking an organized, energetic Communications & Administrative Associate to join its New York City team to assist the Senior Director of Communications and Strategy. This role will help promote and amplify our mission-driven, impactful journalism, as well as oversee related administrative and scheduling duties for the newsroom.
- Assist the Senior Director of Communications and Strategy;
- Develop and maintain media lists;
- Draft press releases;
- Draft event descriptions and copy to describe new Intercept podcasts, videos, investigations and articles;
- Pitch select Intercept stories to bookers, journalists, editors, and TV producers for coverage;
- Monitor media coverage and write-up weekly reports;
- Track social and legal impact of The Intercept’s journalism;
- Provide logistical support for media appearances, in-person, and virtual events;
- Maintain and update lists of upcoming events, conferences, and journalism awards;
- Help coordinate award submissions with Senior Director of Communications and Strategy;
- Handle republication, translation and video footage requests from outside partners and other publications;
- Partner with Manager of Strategic Operations on general newsroom administration and media-related support for the Editor-in-Chief, deadlines and internal communications;
- Provide administrative assistance related to the Senior Director of Communications and Strategy and the newsroom, which includes scheduling both internal and external meetings, travel arrangements, and handling general office duties
- A broad understanding of the U.S. media landscape and a specific interest in non-profit journalism;
- A high degree of confidentiality and discretion is expected across all areas;
- Other appropriately related projects/duties as assigned
Background & Qualifications:
- College graduate with 2-3 years administrative experience, preferably at a media or similar organization
- 2-3 years of communications and PR experience
- Hardworking, creative, and professional, with unflinching attention to detail
- Self-starter with excellent organization skills; able to anticipate needs and be proactive
- Should have strong communication and interpersonal skills; comfortable and efficient in team environment
- Strong writing skills
- Familiarity with newsletter software like Mailchimp and Constant Contact
- Familiarity with media tracking software like Cision and Meltwater
- Understanding of the U.S. and international media landscape
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced newsroom setting
- Enthusiastic about The Intercept and its mission
About The Intercept
The Intercept is an award-winning news organization dedicated to holding the powerful accountable through fearless, adversarial journalism. Its in-depth investigations and unflinching analysis focus on politics, war, surveillance, corruption, the environment, technology, criminal justice, the media, and more. The Intercept gives its journalists the editorial freedom and legal support they need to expose corruption and injustice wherever they find it.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Field of Vision, and the recently launched Topic SVOD service, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer -- people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.