This role is a temporary, 3-month, part-time position with the possibility of transitioning to full-time at a later date.
The IF/Then Shorts Coordinator will play a key role in supporting the IF/Then Shorts program, which awards monetary grants through public pitches and programs, and provides year-round production and distribution mentorship to short form documentary storytellers across four U.S. regions and globally. This administrative position will support the IF/Then Shorts Program with an eye to logistical support for filmmakers at all stages of the program's involvement with their projects, organizational assistance to the Director and Supervising Producer, social media support, and events coordination.
Programs and Events (60%) -
- Work collaboratively with the Director and Supervising Producer, coordinating all logistics related to selecting filmmakers for the program, including application platform set up, outreach to solicit applications from a diverse set of emerging as well as seasoned filmmakers, participation in application reviews and the final selection process, and liaising with filmmakers and jury members
- In collaboration with regional partners, provide logistical support to invited filmmakers including but not limited to scheduling and delivery of sample materials
- Coordinate and execute the IF/Then pitches and additional events, along with providing support on any special projects
- Research opportunities for public screenings and external engagement for completed IF/Then Short films, and communicate with the filmmakers throughout the process
Filmmaker Logistics (20%) -
- Maintain and gather a quarterly update of in-house records for supported filmmaker activity, including but not limited to: requesting cost reports, archiving festival acceptance updates, processing filmmaker invoices, providing festival fee waivers, etc.
- Coordinate with filmmakers on deliverables and deadlines, working with in-house teams to confirm technical deliverables, and digital asset management of completed films and related materials
Social Media and Marketing (20%)-
- Create content and assets for Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to highlight supported filmmakers and projects
- Research best practices in social media and keep the program current in marketing strategies and platform management
- Contribute to and publish a regular newsletter to keep the IF/Then network abreast of program developments and news
Background & Qualifications:
- Must demonstrate experience working with film/media and/or event production e.g. through production, film festivals, commissioning, agency work, theaters, etc.
- 1+ years of applicable experience in a professional setting
- Strong interest in nonfiction films
- Demonstrated literacy with social media tools and platforms
- Self-starter with excellent organization skills; able to anticipate needs and be proactive
- Fast learner with the ability to make corrections, learn from mistakes, and grow in the field
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team and take direction as needed
- Ability to thrive and adapt in a fast-paced environment
- Hardworking, creative, and professional, with unflinching attention to detail
- Willing to travel as needed
- Proactive commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Basic Post-Production organizational skills for digital asset management of completed grantee films and related materials a plus
- Other appropriately related projects/duties as assigned
About Field of Vision
Field of Vision is a filmmaker-driven documentary unit that commissions, creates and supports original short-form and feature-length nonfiction films and episodic series about developing and ongoing stories around the globe. Our mission is to support work that uses innovative and artistic ways to explore contemporary global issues through a cinematic lens and push the boundaries of nonfiction storytelling.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Field of Vision, and the recently launched Topic SVOD service, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer -- People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.