First Look Media is seeking to hire a Vice President of Communications who will develop and execute robust communications strategies for the award-winning Topic Studios, including its corporate profile and content across several verticals including film, television, documentaries and podcasts. This position will also work to help support and promote the critically acclaimed, non-profit documentary unit, Field of Vision (FOV) and its work.
This role is cross-functional, communicating internally and externally, working closely with the Topic Studios leadership and team, as well as their creative and distribution partners, on planning, launching and publicizing content and new releases. The Vice President of Communications will work to build the profiles and branding of both organizations through potential media partnerships, speaking opportunities, festival planning, public relations campaigns, and extending relationships with key media and influencers. The role also calls for a strong ability to create and write comprehensive communications materials including well-thought-out strategies, press releases, talking points, and positioning documents.
We are looking for a confident senior communicator who can drive public relations opportunities across trade, consumer, entertainment, digital and news media. This person will closely partner with FLM Communications and advise Topic Studios and FOV leadership on various initiatives to achieve communications goals. This candidate must also possess relevant industry expertise, strong media relationships, excellent written and communications skills and an ability to learn fast and move faster in an ever-changing, multi-faceted environment. Candidate should be passionate, curious, knowledgeable and equipped to spearhead publicity campaigns autonomously, with drive and creativity. The Vice President of Communications is a new role and will be a key member, working closely with Topic Studios’ and Field of Vision’s teams.
The role reports to First Look Media’s Chief Communications Officer and is based in NY.
- Drive corporate PR profile for Topic Studios across film, streaming, television and podcasting.
- Support Field of Vision in its work and expanding profile.
- Secure consumer and trade publicity opportunities for content, overall brand awareness talent and executive visibility.
- Shape communications strategy for content, brand innovation, executive speaking opportunities, and social responsibility efforts where relevant.
- Work as part of a team to create impactful media relations campaigns to build buzz around content and communications priorities.
- Proactively pitch media to support content initiatives, including pitching talent and creatives for editorial and broadcast interviews timed to premiere and releases.
- Facilitate and support media relations efforts at virtual and live events, including press junkets, red carpets, screenings, conferences and conventions.
- Collaborate and communicate plans with internal teams including marketing, social, content production, legal and others.
- Oversee Topic Studios awards strategy including but not limited to the Emmys, Golden Globes, Academy Awards, People’s Choice Podcast Awards and seasonal Documentary Film Festivals and collaborate with FOV on their awards strategy.
- Work directly with studio and creative partners, to develop specialized PR programs for target industry and consumer audiences, as well as go-to-market strategies.
- Strategize with marketing and social teams to ensure impactful, multifaceted campaigns for Topic Studios and FOV are built and executed to grow reach and audience, as well as earn industry acclaim through more traditional channels.
- Work closely with Topic Studios' distribution partners- including independent/specialty distributors, streamers, and major studios- on relevant press releases (ie. acquisition announcements) and to collaborate on national campaigns for Topic projects as appropriate.
- Counter communicate any misinformation or crisis that might interfere with the business while protecting the integrity of the FLM brands and reputation.
- Produce key messages, talking points, press releases, one-pagers, presentations/keynotes, Q&As, thought leadership pieces, bylined articles, and other communications assets.
- Coordinate with events and editorial teams to create and support screenings, panels, festival premiers and speaking opportunities to promote brand, talent and content.
- Manage external PR firms, including corporate profile, content specific, or film festival.
- A willingness to create, drive and execute strategy at all levels.
- Ensure communications and branding align with larger FLM company voice, tone and goals.
- Other appropriately related projects/duties as assigned
Background & Qualifications:
- Minimum of 8-10+ years of communications/public relations experience at a film studio or media company.
- Have established relationships with domestic/international journalists, bookers, studio partners, trade media and talent/producer representatives.
- A successful track record executing PR programs for narrative and documentary film, and television. (podcasting a plus)
- Ability to lead big picture strategies, while ensuring detailed execution.
- Consultative nature partnering with executives on PR strategies and positioning.
- Demonstrated success working well under pressure.
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail.
- A self-starter who can demonstrate creative and critical thinking and problem-solving skills in an ambiguous environment.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of the industry trends in the film, documentary and entertainment landscape.
- Passion for content and storytelling.
- A curiosity for uncovering new, innovative ways of doing things.
- Demonstrated ability to interact well with cross-functional team members and connect and communicate well with internal & external partners.
- Ability to successfully manage competing priorities, lead multiple projects and offer advice and recommendations with justifiable back-up.
- Proficiency in MS Office, PowerPoint, Cision, Meltwater and Apple Keynote desired
About Topic Studios
Topic Studios, the award-winning entertainment studio from First Look Media, develops, finances and produces provocative and entertaining content for all platforms including theatrical, streaming, television and podcasts. From Academy Award® winning films (Spotlight); to documentaries (The Fight, co-released with Magnolia Pictures, available in theaters and on-demand, and Mucho Mucho Amor, now streaming on Netflix); to television (the docu-series Love Fraud and the Emmy Award® winning and Peabody Award® nominated “16 Shots,” both on Showtime, and the Emmy Award® nominated Losers on Netflix); and pioneering podcasts (Missing Richard Simmons, the Peabody Award® nominated Running from COPS, Anthem written by John Cameron Mitchell & Bryan Weller, featuring Glenn Close, Cynthia Erivo and Patti LuPone, and the investigative podcast Somebody with iHeartMedia). Films coming soon from Topic Studios include Michael Angelo Covino’s The Climb set for release November 13 (Sony Pictures Classics); Euros Lyn’s Dream Horse, starring Toni Collette and Damian Lewis (with Bleecker Street); and The Nowhere Inn written by and starring Carrie Brownstein (Portlandia) and Annie Clark (aka St. Vincent). Other upcoming projects include the untitled political drama formally known as Prisoner 760 directed by Kevin Macdonald and starring Jodie Foster, Benedict Cumberbatch, Tahar Rahim and Shailene Woodley (STX); Pablo Larrain’s Spencer, starring Kristen Stewart as Princess Diana, acquired with NEON at Cannes this year, and a film exploring the connection between Chinatown restaurants and the rise of punk music produced by and starring Golden Globe® winner Awkwafina.
About Field of Vision
Field of Vision is a filmmaker-driven documentary unit that commissions, creates and supports original short-form and feature-length nonfiction films and episodic series about developing and ongoing stories around the globe. Our mission is to support work that uses innovative and artistic ways to explore contemporary global issues through a cinematic lens and push the boundaries of nonfiction storytelling.
About First Look Media
Boundary-defying innovation. Fierce independence. A deep passion for exploration and excellence defines First Look Media, a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices and storytelling. From fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment, First Look Media is currently in market with its flagship properties Topic Studios, Topic streaming service, The Intercept, Field of Vision and The Press Freedom Defense Fund. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.