The Intercept seeks a creative, seasoned Supervising Producer to lead an exciting slate of podcasts -- including the weekly shows Intercepted with Jeremy Scahill and Deconstructed with Mehdi Hasan, as well as special narrative and investigative series. The Supervising Producer will work closely with the hosts and executive producers of The Intercept’s shows, the VP/Executive Producer, Podcasts for Topic Studios, as well as journalists across The Intercept’s newsroom and its leadership, to develop and execute original ideas for segments, series, and live events; manage The Intercept’s full-time and contract podcast staff; and lead production across the slate. The ideal candidate should be an experienced producer and a gifted writer and audio storyteller. Prior experience with narrative, investigative podcasts preferred.
- Overseeing and building The Intercept’s slate of podcasts: driving overall editorial direction, maintaining their success, and growing their reach and impact.
- Developing and executing original series and segments from conception to release.
- Recruiting, hiring and managing both full-time and freelance production and editorial staff.
- Creating and managing show budgets.
- Attending weekly editorial and production meetings for all podcasts and providing guidance on story/topic/guest selection.
- Monitoring analytics and developing strategies for audience growth, including marketing, communications, and other outreach.
- Managing collaboration throughout the production and release process with The Intercept’s (and, more broadly, First Look Media’s) business, design, social media, and marketing teams.
- Coordinating and overseeing live podcast event production, working with internal and external partners.
- Working closely with The Intercept’s editorial team to field and develop ideas from writers and editors.
- Collaborating with Topic Studios’ podcast team and business department on their revenue goals as well as revenue, membership, and marketing opportunities for Intercept podcasts.
Background + Qualifications:
- At least 7 years of experience producing radio and/or podcasts of a journalistic nature, with a track record of cultivating compelling voices and engaging content.
- Interest and fluency in The Intercept’s areas of coverage, including war, surveillance, corruption, criminal justice, politics, history, and global affairs.
- Seasoned audio editor, fluent in ProTools or similar software.
- Technical understanding of audio recording equipment.
- Deep skills in script writing, host prep and direction, and podcast producing generally.
- Sharp eye for talent and good stories.
- Access to networks of diverse talent and commitment to ensuring that our podcasts provide an outlet for a rich diversity of voices and viewpoints.
- Excellent news judgment and keen understanding of the news media landscape.
- Strong management and organizational skills
- Experience managing production team(s) across multiple shows, creating workflows, and delegating roles.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; maturity in dealing with talent, upper management, and business partners.
- Ability to work efficiently on deadline; adaptability to varying workflows and editorial demands.
- Creative idea-generator, with ability to come up with unique angles on important issues.
- Candidates in the NYC area preferred.
In your cover letter, please tell us what you think about our current podcasts, and include ideas for new podcasts and areas of coverage, especially in the run-up to the 2020 election and current political climate.
About The Intercept
The Intercept is an award-winning news organization dedicated to holding the powerful accountable through fearless, adversarial journalism. Its in-depth investigations and unflinching analysis focus on politics, war, surveillance, corruption, the environment, technology, criminal justice, the media, and more. The Intercept gives its journalists the editorial freedom and legal support they need to expose corruption and injustice wherever they find it.
Topic is the ambitious new storytelling brand and entertainment studio from First Look Media, dedicated to supporting creators at the forefront of culture. From Academy Award®-winning films (Spotlight) to television, audio and digital, we explore a wide range of subject matter, both fiction and nonfiction with an emphasis on stories of consequence that explore the issues of our time. Our approach – challenging, compelling and unconventional – reflects our commitment to discovering and amplifying independent new voices, and supporting established ones.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Field of Vision, and the recently launched Topic SVOD service, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.