Topic is the new streaming service from First Look Media, curated for a curious and engaged audience seeking smart, provocative and meaningful entertainment. We are cultivating a platform for underrepresented voices, new perspectives, and quality stories found around the world.
The Director, Retention Marketing will focus on keeping Topic subscribers engaged and active across all touchpoints, with the intention of optimizing LTV. Responsibilities will include monitoring and analyzing subscription retention metrics, and ongoing testing of ways to minimize churn. This is a unique chance to help shape a vital community and loyal brand following using data-driven strategy and tactics.
As an integral member of the Marketing team, the role will report to the VP, Marketing.
- Lead efforts to define and improve lifecycle marketing strategy across email, push notifications, and other programs to increase retention and LTV on all distribution platforms.
- Analyze user behavior and performance by product, geography, platform, programming, and other factors to understand usage, LTV, and churn.
- Establish and conduct tests for new strategies to keep subscribers engaged or win them back following inactivity or churn. Scale successful pilots and optimize through iteration.
- Report out on overall engagement and retention rates (and key drivers) to stakeholders and senior leaders.
- Collaborate with Product team to ensure a seamless, on-brand experience throughout the end-to-end customer experience.
- Lead customer service efforts to provide personalized and outstanding support for subscribers whenever they need assistance.
- Partner with Research & Analytics team to refine retention dashboard and analyze campaign performance.
- Partner with the Director, Acquisitions to ensure consistent end-to-end messaging and test full funnel strategies.
- Create and implement a retention marketing strategy to build loyalty, increase LTV and engage customers.
Background & Qualifications:
- 7+ or more years in a relevant role driving retention preferably in entertainment (TV/film/digital), media or publishing.
- Experience working with editorial, product, creative, and technical teams.
- Some experience working with customer-centered business goals (e.g. subscription, e-commerce or membership).
- Analytical mindset with ability to translate data and trends into actionable insights and execute against them.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively across teams.
- Inquisitive and strategic thinker with excellent analytical, written, and verbal skills with an eye for creating engaging presentations and simple reports.
- Proactive, can-do attitude, and adaptability
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced start up environment
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Field of Vision, and the recently launched Topic SVOD service, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
Topic is the ambitious new storytelling brand, streaming service, and entertainment studio from First Look Media, dedicated to supporting creators at the forefront of culture. From Academy Award®-winning films (Spotlight) to television, audio and digital, we explore a wide range of subject matter, both fiction and nonfiction with an emphasis on stories of consequence that explore the issues of our time. Our approach – challenging, compelling and unconventional – reflects our commitment to discovering and amplifying independent new voices, and supporting established ones.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.