First Look Media and Topic Studios is seeking a Director, Original Series to join the team in Los Angeles, reporting to SVP, Original Series, Topic Studios. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, passionate about premium scripted content development and production, and able to work well in a team and independently. They will have great relationships in the creative community and the industry, ideally with agencies, management companies, and buyers. And they will have proven development and production experience in streaming, cable and broadcast television content with a strong knack for identifying and nurturing creative talent. This position will work closely with the SVP to build a slate to bring to market and solidify the Topic Studios brand.
- Identify writers, directors and talent for premium television content.
- Identify TV formats, books, articles, podcasts, documentaries, and other source material for on-going development.
- Oversee scripted development grid and day-to-day progress on projects.
- Attend general and pitch meetings with creators (writer, director, talent, producers).
- Work closely with creators to develop story, formats, pitches and scripts.
- Write up notes for development meetings and calls with creators.
- Work closely with the SVP to determine selling strategy for development projects
- Attend pitch meetings with buyers, and track buyers’ feedback and interest.
- Write up notes on script drafts, production dailies and studio cuts.
- Serve as a studio liaison between Topic Studios other First Look entities (The Intercept, Field of Vision, Topic’s soon to launch SVOD platform)
- Forge and maintain relationships with agents, managers, producers and executives at distribution/platform partners.
Background & Qualifications:
- College degree. Related field strongly preferred.
- Minimum 5 years relevant work experience.
- General understanding of the domestic and international TV marketplace.
- Strong relationships with agencies, management companies, production companies and distribution/platform partners.
- Knowledge of scripted television series and formats (past and present).
- Avid reader with premium/commercial taste and the ability to identify stories/voices with the potential to connect with audiences.
- Ability to source IP in all its forms and determine which are primed for development into premium scripted series.
- Ability to generate creative ideas and elements to enhance projects.
- Strategic mindset vis a vis setting up projects that meet a platform’s expressed need, brand and audience profile.
- Excellent communication skills – verbal, non-verbal and written.
- Must be a team player.
- Ability to multi-task, organize and schedule work effectively.
About Topic Studios
Topic is the ambitious new storytelling brand and entertainment studio from First Look Media, dedicated to supporting creators at the forefront of culture. From Academy Award®-winning films (Spotlight) to television, audio and documentaries, we explore a wide range of subject matter, both fiction and nonfiction with an emphasis on stories of consequence that explore the issues of our time. Our approach – challenging, compelling and unconventional – reflects our commitment to discovering and amplifying independent new voices and supporting established ones.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Field of Vision, and the soon to launch Topic SVOD service, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. Informing a large, diverse audience is a core principle of our work, so we’re committed to building a team that reflects that diversity.