About The Intercept:
The Intercept is an award-winning news organization dedicated to holding the powerful accountable through fearless, adversarial journalism. Its in-depth investigations and unflinching analysis focus on politics, war, surveillance, corruption, the environment, technology, criminal justice, the media, and more. The Intercept gives its journalists the editorial freedom and legal support they need to expose corruption and injustice wherever they find it.
The Intercept is looking for an energetic investigative reporter with a track record of breaking stories with significant impact in the areas of national security and technology. The reporter will cover surveillance, whether by the government or private corporations; cyberwarfare; covert actions by governments and private security companies; disinformation campaigns; and/or other aspects of national security, technology and foreign policy of interest to The Intercept’s audience. Candidates who have distinguished themselves with groundbreaking reporting in any one of these areas will be considered. Excellent sourcing in the intelligence community, among defense contractors, and/or in the world of big tech and big data is required. This position emphasizes enterprise reporting but the reporter should also be willing and able to produce incisive, fast-turn stories off the news. Experience with filing FOIA and other public records requests is highly desirable.
- At least 10 years experience as a reporter/writer
- Proven track record of breaking significant news stories in national security. Experience in technology reporting is a plus.
- Ability to file clean, accurate copy on complex, sometimes high-risk stories
- Extensive knowledge, sources, and subject matter expertise as well as an independent perspective
- Sharp instincts about what makes a good story for The Intercept
- Ability to respond to shifting priorities and demands, based on organizational needs and the news cycle
- Must be a generous and fully engaged member of our national security and technology teams and equally adept at working independently
- Ability to generate powerful, original stories while executing assigned pieces with speed and grace
- Commitment to the Intercept’s unique mission
With your application, please include or link to up to 5 clips that illustrate your writing, reporting, and/or technological abilities. This position is based in either Washington, D.C. or New York City.
This position is recognized as part of the Writer’s Guild of America, East, Inc., “Union."
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Field of Vision, and the recently launched Topic SVOD service, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.