The Vice President, Marketing and Audience Development will own the development of campaigns and experiences that build awareness and drive audience conversion for the Topic streaming service. We want a curious, creative, and critical thinker who can translate insights into initiatives that create growth. In addition, this role could support marketing efforts for The Intercept, Field of Vision, and other First Look Media initiatives.
Collaborate with the development, studio, creative and business teams to identify and implement strategies to meet organizational goals, including subscriber acquisition and retention, creative development, revenue, events, and more.
Lead projects from conception to completion in collaboration with other teams.
This role will be an integral member of the Marketing team and will report to the SVP, Marketing. The role will have two direct reports.
- Audience Targeting and Outreach: Understand the position of our brand and develop an in-depth understanding of the Topic user to inform strategy that drives LTV and other established KPIs
- Content Marketing: Oversee the creation of creative briefs and strategy materials. Collaborate with creative, development and studio teams to position our streaming content.
- Paid Media Planning: Develop along with Director of Acquisitions a highly-efficient performance driven media plans that effectively promote our brands and content across Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Google (YouTube, AdWords, Paid Search), Roku, and more.
- Podcasts: Lead the development of podcast awareness initiatives that grow listeners and revenue.
- Newsletters: Develop and execute audience acquisition strategies for email to increase engagement and subscriber base.
- Partnerships: Establish and maintain partnerships (including syndication, content swaps, sweepstakes, etc.) with third party publishers to grow traffic and brand presence.
- Business/Revenue: Collaborate with the business team to uncover insights and strategies to develop appropriate collateral and sales marketing material.
- Analytics/Optimization/SEO: Understand changes in traffic and engagement in order to translate user response data into actionable insights. Work closely with the product team to identify testing initiatives to improve onsite engagement.
Background & Qualifications:
- 10+ or more years of marketing experience, preferably in entertainment (TV/film/digital), media or publishing.
- Experience working with editorial, product, creative, and technical teams.
- Some experience working with customer-centered business goals (e.g. subscription, e-commerce or membership).
- Experience overseeing campaigns on social/advertising platforms including: Facebook Ads Manager, Instagram, Twitter, Adwords, etc.
- Extensive experience with developing creative briefs and evaluating concepts / final executions
- Proficiency in internal web tracking solutions (Google Analytics), native social media measurement tools (Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics, YouTube Analytics, etc) and social media measurement experience (Sysomos, ListenFirst, CrowdTangle, etc.)
- Strategic thinker with excellent analytical, written, and verbal skills with an eye for creating engaging presentations and simple reports
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to communicate and work well with multiple teams.
- Passion for working in a collaborative team in a fast-paced environment.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Field of Vision, and the soon to launch Topic SVOD service, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
Topic is the ambitious new storytelling brand and entertainment studio from First Look Media, dedicated to supporting creators at the forefront of culture. From Academy Award®-winning films (Spotlight) to television, audio and digital, we explore a wide range of subject matter, both fiction and nonfiction with an emphasis on stories of consequence that explore the issues of our time. Our approach – challenging, compelling and unconventional – reflects our commitment to discovering and amplifying independent new voices, and supporting established ones.
About The Intercept
The Intercept, launched in 2014 to provide an outlet for fearless, adversarial journalism, produces award-winning investigative reporting, analysis, and multimedia content focused on national security, politics, civil liberties, the environment, technology, criminal justice, media, and more. Regular contributors include co-founding editors Glenn Greenwald and Jeremy Scahill.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.