About The Intercept:
The Intercept is an award-winning news organization dedicated to holding the powerful accountable through fearless, adversarial journalism. Its in-depth investigations and unflinching analysis focus on politics, war, surveillance, corruption, the environment, technology, criminal justice, the media, and more. The Intercept gives its journalists the editorial freedom and legal support they need to expose corruption and injustice wherever they find it.
The Senior Producer for Intercept Podcasts is responsible for managing The Intercept’s weekly shows – including the flagship Intercepted with Jeremy Scahill and Deconstructed with Mehdi Hasan – as well as special narrative and investigative series. The Senior Producer will work closely with the hosts and executive producers of The Intercept’s shows, as well as journalists across the Intercept’s newsroom and its leadership, to develop original ideas for segments, series and live events, and on their execution.
- Overseeing the Intercept’s slate of podcasts, maintaining their success and growing their reach and impact.
- Recruiting, hiring and managing both full-time and freelance production staff for Intercept podcasts.
- Creating and managing show budgets.
- Attending weekly editorial and production meetings for all podcasts and providing guidance on story/topic/guest selection.
- Giving editorial notes on show segments and series.
- Monitoring analytics and developing strategies for audience growth, including marketing, communications, and other outreach.
- Coordinating and overseeing live podcast event production, working with partners (e.g. Hot Docs, Third Coast).
- Working closely with The Intercept’s editorial team to field and develop ideas from writers and editors, attending newsroom meetings.
- Strategizing and coordinating with The Intercept’s design department on show art and photos.
- Managing operations for podcast launches and distribution.
- Collaborating with Topic Studios’ podcast team and business department on their revenue goals as well as revenue, membership, and marketing opportunities for Intercept podcasts.
Background & Qualifications:
- At least 7 years experience producing radio and/or podcasts of a journalistic nature, with a track record of cultivating compelling voices and engaging content.
- Interest and fluency in The Intercept’s areas of coverage, including war, surveillance, corruption, criminal justice, politics, history, and global affairs.
- Seasoned audio editor, fluent in ProTools or similar software.
- Deep skills in host prep, direction, and script writing.
- Sharp eye for talent and good stories.
- Excellent news judgment and keen understanding of the news media landscape.
- Strong management and organizational skills
- Experience managing small production team(s), creating workflows and delegating roles.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; maturity in dealing with talent, upper management, and business partners.
- Ability to work efficiently on deadline; adaptability to varying workflows and editorial demands.
- Creative idea-generator, with ability to come up with unique angles on important issues.
In your cover letter, please tell us what you think about our current podcasts, and include ideas for new podcasts and areas of coverage, especially in the run-up to the 2020 election.