First Look Media is looking for a Director of Communications for Topic.com who will create, execute and manage a robust communications & public relations strategy in support of the digital storytelling platform, Topic.com, its video content and continued evolution. The ideal candidate will be able to develop a steady cadence of impactful publicity to drive home our compelling narrative that conveys our vision and business priorities, putting an emphasis on the innovative content and programming the Topic.com team consistently develops to connect with and grow its audience.
The role will work cross-functionally to communicate with teams internally as well as externally; work closely with Topic.com’s team on planning, launching and publicizing each issue and programming priorities -- including exploring media partnerships, driving publicity, seeking out influencers and establishing relationships with key media and industry blogs. The role also calls for the ability to devise specific communications materials and campaigns; engage in face-to-face meetings with commentators and other opinion formers; develop print and web-based material supporting these campaigns; and counter any misinformation that might interfere with Topic.com’s goals.
We are looking for a confident senior communicator who can build public relations opportunities for Topic.com across consumer, entertainment, digital, art, news, photography and trade media. This candidate must also possess relevant industry expertise, relationships, excellent written and communications skills and an ability to learn fast and move faster in an ever-changing environment. Candidate should be passionate, knowledgeable and equipped to spearhead publicity campaigns autonomously with drive and creativity. The Director of Communications is a new role and will be a key member of the team, working closely with Topic.com’s editorial leadership, General Manager & First Look Media’s Chief Communications Officer.
The role reports to FLM’s Chief Communications Officer.
- Develop an always-on public relations strategy to position Topic.com in the media industry & trades.
- Manage publicity efforts for all of Topic.com’s video assets including originals, acquisitions social video, short series, documentaries, scripted content and short films in consumer press.
- Work directly with several of our brand & creative partners, internally and externally, to develop specialized PR programs for target audiences.
- Strategize with marketing team to ensure impactful media campaigns are built and executed to grow reach, audience and earn industry acclaim.
- Produce key messages, talking points, press releases, one-pagers, presentations/keynotes, Q&As, thought leadership pieces, bylined articles, and other communications assets.
- Coordinate with events and editorial teams to create & support screenings, panels, festival premiers, speaking opportunities and consumer events to further amplify Topic.com.
- Influence new business ideas to ensure there is a strong PR angle in the programs we conceptualize for prospective and pre-existing partners.
- Manage awards strategy and submissions for Topic.com’s programming.
- Identify and execute opportunities to showcase relevant information as appropriate, in support of internal brand awareness and employee engagement objectives.
- Partner with marketing and social media teams to ensure comprehensive media campaigns for program priorities.
- Serve as a trusted communications adviser for Topic’s executives.
- Manage crisis and issues with key stakeholders and senior communications lead.
- Collaborate cross functionally to ensure communications and branding align with larger company voice, tone and goals.
Background & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in PR/Communications, Journalism or English a plus.
- Minimum 8+ years of PR/communications experience, with emphasis in entertainment/media industry preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Office, PowerPoint, Cision and Apple Keynote desired.
- A strategic, critical thinker with solid storytelling skills who can work in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Extensive experience in promoting video SVOD
- A strong passion for, and deep knowledge of the brand marketing & communications ecosystem.
- Exceptional verbal, written, and presentation skills; demonstrated ability to synthesize complex information and present it in a clear, concise and conversational manner. Must have strong editing skills and keen attention to detail.
- Extensive experience managing multiple clients at once to amplify buzz worthy consumer campaigns.
- Unique ability to navigate through even the most complex companies.
- Digital and social storytelling and engagement experience a PLUS.
- Strong ability to work independently or collaboratively with minimal supervision.
- Proven experience of delivering results with impact.
- Willingness to take smart risks and lead initiatives with confidence.
- Ability to handle sensitive matters with utmost discretion.
- Ability to successfully manage competing priorities and offer advice and recommendations with justifiable back-up.
Topic is the entertainment studio and ambitious storytelling brand dedicated to supporting creators at the forefront of culture. From Academy Award®-winning films (Spotlight) to television (Losers), digital (aka Wyatt Cenac) and podcasts (Anthem, Missing Richard Simmons), we explore a wide range of subject matter, both fiction and nonfiction. Our approach – challenging, compelling and unconventional –reflects our commitment to discovering and amplifying independent new voices and supporting established ones.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Topic, The Nib and Field of Vision, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.