The Creative Team is seeking a Designer / Motion Designer that lives and breathes design and typography, with a great sense of aesthetic. Our team supports the creative needs of First Look Media and all of its brands, with a majority of that support allocated to Topic.com. Projects will include everything from developing and pitching key art and motion graphics packages, animating graphic elements, creating promotional and marketing content, to laying out business cards and designing brand decks.
The ideal candidate will be familiar with our brands, the digital media industry, and all of the platforms where our presence and content live, including Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, TV Apps (Roku, AppleTV), and Snapchat. They should also have a passion for supporting independent voices, storytelling and journalism, and an appreciation for meaningful content.
We are looking for a talented and creative designer that is incredibly hard-working, highly motivated, organized and efficient, adaptable, energetic, kind, positive, professional, collaborative, supportive, a great communicator, and with an overall great work ethic.
- Developing key art and motion graphics packages for film and digital series.
- Designing and resizing ads, and other promotional / marketing content (digital, print and OOH).
- Creating one-sheets.
- Creating and resizing all assets used for site, newsletter.
- Uploading assets to site using our proprietary CMS interface.
- Working within our file structure system and keeping files extremely organized.
- Animating motion graphics for promo content, graphic packages, title cards.
- Animating graphic elements for site, newsletter and social.
- Animating layered cover art files into loops for site.
- Creating Animated GIFs.
- Pulling, and color correcting stills from video.
- Own individual projects from conception to completion.
- Working directly with the head of creative, creative team members and other stakeholders to constantly push, evolve and elevate the work.
- Being diligent about keeping project managers in the loop regarding the status of all projects.
- Hosting workshops and tutorials to share any tips and techniques that may help the collective team grow or improve process.
- Staying on top of industry trends, advancements and new storytelling techniques that could elevate the work.
- Helping to problem solve creative and technical problems.
Background & Qualifications:
- 5+ years of experience as a designer/motion designer.
- A strong sense of design and typography.
- Significant experience developing key art for movies and shows.
- Preferably experience working at an agency specializing in entertainment, or an in-house creative team at a tv / media / entertainment company.
- Significant experience using Adobe Photoshop, and experience with retouching, color correction and clipping paths, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Adobe AfterEffects.
- Significant experience with print design..
- Experience working with marketing teams and achieving marketing objectives.
- Ability to take and share feedback as a process and a means to continually improve, grow and pivot as needed.
- Ability to work well under tight deadlines and to prioritize the needs of multiple assignments.
- Ability to roll-up your sleeves and get things done in a startup environment.
- Ability to present ideas clearly and thoughtfully.
- Ability to help problem solve and come up with solutions.
Topic is the entertainment studio and ambitious storytelling brand dedicated to supporting creators at the forefront of culture. From Academy Award®-winning films (Spotlight) to television (Losers), digital (aka Wyatt Cenac) and podcasts (Anthem, Missing Richard Simmons), we explore a wide range of subject matter, both fiction and nonfiction. Our approach – challenging, compelling and unconventional –reflects our commitment to discovering and amplifying independent new voices and supporting established ones.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Topic, The Nib and Field of Vision, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.