The Features Editor will be working with the editorial staff, visuals team, product, and designers to help realize Topic’s vision for fascinating, original storytelling.
The Features Editor will be a full-time addition to the existing team to help shepherd deep-dive original storytelling across its newsletter and website. This person should have 5-10 years experience as an editor; we would be looking for someone with sharp storytelling skills and a large and diverse network of possible contributors. The Features Editor will be working closely with the EIC and the managing editor to ensure that stories come in on-time and on budget, as well as contribute ideas about how to creatively distribute their stories to a digital audience.
As a small team with a big mandate, the right candidate for this job will have the energy and wherewithal to see projects through from vague idea to polished final versions. The Features Editor will be an integral member of the Topic.com team and will report to the Executive Editor.
- Work with Topic.com’s editorial team to brainstorm and assign original magazine stories, both on and off the month’s themes.
- Develop stories in concert with photo and visual editors, and, on occasion, with Topic video producers to make companion digital video shorts.
- Work closely with the managing editor to track budget and story deliverables.
- When appropriate, this editor will work with the studio to funnel original Topic stories into development for film, tv, audio.
Background & Qualifications:
- 5-10 years experience as an editor, preferably with long-form storytelling.
- Skill as a big picture thinker and a line editor.
- Commitment to having fun at work.
- The ability to take feedback as a process and a means to build something even better.
- Ability to work well under tight deadlines and can prioritize the needs of multiple assignments.
- Ability to roll-up your sleeves and get things done in startup environment.
Topic is the entertainment studio and ambitious storytelling brand dedicated to supporting creators at the forefront of culture. From Academy Award®-winning films (Spotlight) to television (Losers), digital (aka Wyatt Cenac) and podcasts (Anthem, Missing Richard Simmons), we explore a wide range of subject matter, both fiction and nonfiction. Our approach – challenging, compelling and unconventional –reflects our commitment to discovering and amplifying independent new voices and supporting established ones.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Topic, The Nib and Field of Vision, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.