The Photo Editor at Topic.com will be responsible for executing and pitching visual stories, researching archival stories, creating layouts, and working closely across teams.
The Photo Editor will be expected to have a developed understanding of visual storytelling. This position should have a deep knowledge of photography across genres and the ability to develop relationships with creators, agencies, galleries, and archives.
The Editor will be an integral member of the Topic.com team and will report to the Editor, Visuals, Topic.com.
- Work closely with a small photography department to execute visual stories
- Ideate and contribute to new story content discussions
- Discover and pitch new talent
- Research and pitch archival stories for Topic
- Create and contribute to visual story layouts
- Work closely with editors and social media team
- Hold projects to deadlines and budget
- Rights and permissions for archival imagery
Background & Qualifications:
- 3+ years experience
- Archival research
- Knowledge of photojournalism, art, and contemporary photography
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Excellent organization and time management
- The ability to take feedback as a process and a means to build something even better.
- Ability to work well under tight deadlines and can prioritize the needs of multiple assignments.
- Ability to roll-up your sleeves and get things done in startup environment.
Topic is the entertainment studio and ambitious storytelling brand dedicated to supporting creators at the forefront of culture. From Academy Award®-winning films (Spotlight) to television (Losers), digital (aka Wyatt Cenac) and podcasts (Anthem, Missing Richard Simmons), we explore a wide range of subject matter, both fiction and nonfiction. Our approach – challenging, compelling and unconventional –reflects our commitment to discovering and amplifying independent new voices and supporting established ones.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Topic, The Nib and Field of Vision, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.