(NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS)
We’re looking for a Managing Director who has impeccable judgement, strong management and coordination skills, as well as the ability to keep daily workflows in motion in our filmmaker-driven documentary unit, Field of Vision. The Managing Director will work collaboratively with the Executive Producers to implement and support Field of Vision's creative vision and mission. The Managing Director will manage FOV’s staff and day-to-day operations, and work with the Executive Producers to create and launch new initiatives.
The Managing Director will have 4-5 direct reports.
This is a full-time staff position located in our New York City office.
- Oversee programs and partnerships and manages editorial processes.
- Manage, train, delegate responsibilities and supervise the work of direct reports on the team.
- Supports EPs to set yearly budgets and oversees daily organizational budget for operations and productions.
- Provide support to Executive Producers in ongoing filmmaker Fellowship Program.
- Oversee key organizational functions, directly implementing as necessary, including communications, marketing, legal and business affairs, and closely coordinates with relevant First Look Media departments.
- Oversee external contractors and consultants to support FOV's needs where necessary.
- Assist with developing strategy, plans and manages logistics for external FOV events.
Background & Qualifications:
- At least 10 years’ experience in increasingly responsible positions within documentary film production and/or film commissioning.
- Proven experience as Managing Director or other managerial position.
- Knowledge of national and international film production and distribution, including contracts, deal terms, budgeting, theatrical and festival circuits.
- Knowledge of journalistic and documentary ethics and standards.
- Demonstrated experience as a strategic leader in the documentary field.
- Demonstrated experience in developing new programming and partnerships and in implementing inclusion and diversity at all levels.
- Ability to work well under tight deadlines and to prioritize the needs of multiple assignments.
- Ability to self-manage and prioritize work appropriately.
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to travel and to work nights and weekends around events and key deadlines.
- Experience as a lead production role of non-fiction feature films, or broadcast projects.
- Experience within comparable journalism, arts, or film organizations.
- Proficiency with project management systems, communication resources and related software programs.
Application deadline is 11:59pm EST on Friday, May 31st, 2019.
About Field of Vision
Field of Vision is a filmmaker-driven visual journalism unit that commissions filmmakers and artists with developing and ongoing stories around the globe. Field of Vision is committed to advocating for the rights and needs of filmmakers, and supporting cinematic innovation and diversity.
Founded in 2015 and led by Executive Producers Laura Poitras and Charlotte Cook, Field of Vision has commissioned, produced and/or supported more than 110 films, including over 75 short films, 4 episodic series, and 15 features. 50% of FOV-supported films have been directed by women and 42% by filmmakers of color. This work has premiered at Sundance, Cannes, Toronto, Berlin, SXSW, Hot Docs, Tribeca, and IDFA, among many other festivals, winning multiple Grand Jury and other awards and nominations.
Distribution partners represent a wide range of media, from publishers the New Yorker and The Intercept and Teen Vogue; distributors NEON, Showtime, BBC, PBS, Hulu; and, exhibitors New York’s IFC Center and London’s Institute for Contemporary Arts.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Topic, The Nib and Field of Vision, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.