(NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS)
We are looking for an Editorial Assistant to help with day-to-day editorial and office tasks in running the premiere publication for political and non-fiction comics.
The Editorial Assistant will work primarily with our editorial team in Portland, Oregon, in both print and online to coordinate and assist with publishing and business efforts for a publication that publishes daily online, quarterly in print, and does conventions and live events across the year.
The Editorial Assistant should have an interest in comics and progressive media and be able to work and communicate well in a deadline-oriented environment and be able to work with and learn management systems for content, memberships, shipping and mailing.
This job does not involve cartooning or drawing skills, but cartoonists will be considered for additional tasks including promotional illustration and comics.
This is an hourly contract position for 20 hours a week. Work hours are flexible across that week but must be performed in the Portland office sometime during regular business hours on weekdays.
The Editorial Assistant will be an integral member of the The Nib team and will report to the Editor, The Nib.
- Managing weekly mailings for The Nib magazine and membership program.
- Organizing contracts and invoicing for our contributors.
- Uploading comics to our CMS and image editing for our website and newsletters.
- Project management for editorial, magazine and membership initiatives.
- Assisting the editorial team in working with legal, marketing, and business to coordinate editorial and business goals.
- Assisting the editor-in-chief on editorial and business projects as well as serving as the Portland office manager.
- Assist in managing promotional events and convention appearances.
Background & Qualifications:
- Familiarity with Photoshop and image editing.
- Experience with spreadsheets and content management systems.
- Great communication skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational skills.
About THE NIB
The Nib is a daily comics publication that is part of First Look Media. We run political cartoons, journalism, essays and memoir about what is going down in the world, all in comics form, the best medium.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Topic, The Nib and Field of Vision, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.