(NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS)
Field of Vision’s Programming Assistant position is a support role for Field of Vision’s Executive Producer and the funding and commissioning process. Candidates should note that this is a role with the ability to learn about the development, funding and curatorial process across short, episodic and feature nonfiction film.
The ideal candidate will be extremely organized, with a passion for process and operations. Must be detail oriented, adept at multi-tasking, and a self-starter. While not a creative position, this job directly supports the creative process of Field of Vision, and is an amazing opportunity for the right person to grow with the company.
This role reports to the Co-Founder & Executive Producer, Charlotte Cook.
- Provide a wide range of operational and administrative support for Executive Producer, and of commissioning and funding processes.
- Manage an ever-changing calendar, including vetting and prioritizing meeting requests and coordinating calls, team meetings and complex travel bookings.
- Manage and updates FOV workflow database for department reference.
- With the assistance of the Managing Director, candidate will manage creative workflow for EP.
- Track and research of potential projects for FOV.
- Manage meeting follow-up for EP. This includes taking notes in meetings and making sure EP is aware of and completes necessary next steps.
- Manage deadlines and notes process for projects, making sure EP is aware of and complete necessary next steps.
- Maintain current submissions databases. Make sure EP is updated and ensures timely response.
- Communicates with filmmakers around submissions.
- Opportunity for some travel to support and represent FOV at festivals.
Background + Qualifications:
- College graduate with 1-2 years’ experience, preferably in film curation (festivals, broadcasters, online etc.), development and/or commissioning.
- Strong interest in nonfiction film.
- Self-starter with excellent organization skills; able to anticipate needs and be proactive
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team and take direction as needed.
- Ability to thrive and adapt in a fast-paced environment.
- Hardworking, creative, and professional, with unflinching attention to detail.
- Willing to travel as needed.
Application deadline is 11:59pm EST on Friday, May 3rd, 2019.
About Field of Vision
Field of Vision is a filmmaker-driven visual journalism unit that commissions filmmakers and artists with developing and ongoing stories around the globe. Field of Vision is committed to advocating for the rights and needs of filmmakers, and supporting cinematic innovation and diversity.
Founded in 2015 and led by Executive Producers Laura Poitras and Charlotte Cook, Field of Vision has commissioned, produced and/or supported more than 110 films, including over 75 short films, 4 episodic series, and 15 features. 50% of FOV-supported films have been directed by women and 42% by filmmakers of color. This work has premiered at Sundance, Cannes, Toronto, Berlin, SXSW, Hot Docs, Tribeca, and IDFA, among many other festivals, winning multiple Grand Jury and other awards and nominations.
Distribution partners represent a wide range of media, from publishers the New Yorker and The Intercept and Teen Vogue; distributors NEON, Showtime, BBC, PBS, Hulu; and, exhibitors New York’s IFC Center and London’s Institute for Contemporary Arts.
About First Look Media
A bold, independent spirit defines everything we do at First Look Media – from journalism that holds the powerful accountable, to arts & entertainment that shapes our culture. Launched by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media is built on the belief that freedom of expression and of the press, and fiercely independent perspectives, are vital to a healthy democracy and a vibrant culture.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.