About The Intercept:
The Intercept is an award-winning news organization dedicated to holding the powerful accountable through fearless, adversarial journalism. Its in-depth investigations and unflinching analysis focus on politics, war, surveillance, corruption, the environment, technology, criminal justice, the media, and more. The Intercept gives its journalists the editorial freedom and legal support they need to expose corruption and injustice wherever they find it.
The Intercept is looking for a sharp, detail-oriented Newsletter and Digital Producer who is passionate about newsletters and enthusiastic about The Intercept’s mission and core areas of coverage. We are seeking a digitally savvy journalist with a comprehensive knowledge of AP style and SEO best practices. The candidate should also feel comfortable handling all aspects of daily newsletter production, from writing to curation to editing. The Newsletter and Digital Producer will work closely with the Director of Membership, Director of Audience Engagement, and Copy Editor.
- Write, curate, and edit copy for weekly newsletters and one-off emails to subscribers
- Ensure clarity, accuracy, and consistency across a range of content, from newsletters to quick news articles to in-depth investigative projects
- Able to work independently and also collaborate with editorial, design, and research teams during production process before publication. (Editors will often hand over stories for the Digital Producer to take to publication.)
- Write clear and engaging headlines, captions, and social media copy consistent with The Intercept’s tone
- Handle the production process for newsletters, including running A/B tests
- Extremely organized and able to simultaneously manage deadlines on multiple articles in a quickly moving digital newsroom
- Ability to work quickly and carefully in response to breaking news
- 5+ years of work experience, including 3+ years of working in digital journalism
- Strong writing and editing skills, meticulous, and ability to adhere to tight daily deadlines
- At least three years of copy editing experience. Familiarity with content management systems; WordPress is preferred
- Ability to quickly turn around both a copy edit on a breaking news story, and rapidly produce an engaging email alert to subscribers related to the reporting
- Proficiency with MailChimp, Constant Contact, or other email service provider or constituent relationship management system, or ability to learn quickly
- Well-organized, hardworking, and able to simultaneously manage multiple stories and projects in a fast-moving news environment
- Knowledge of the investigative news landscape, including topics related to national security, government surveillance, and social justice
- Excellent news judgment and commitment to the highest standards of journalism
- Experience with A/B testing and/or engagement analytics is a plus
- Willingness to start early or work later as the news cycle demands
- Collaborative, professional, nimble, and flexible work style; comfort working in a small, fast-paced digital newsroom with shifting needs and demands, with writers who have a range of political viewpoints
This role will be based in NYC, but will consider Washington, D.C.
This position is recognized as part of the Writer’s Guild of America, East, Inc., “Union."
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.