The VP, Brand Partnerships and Ad Sales will be a key part of the First Look Media (FLM) management team and responsible for developing and implementing holistic, strategic brand partnerships that leverage FLM’s unique capabilities including our media platforms, custom content production, original programming, events and talent network. You will work closely with the leadership team to establish and define business goals, KPIs and objectives that drive advertising and sponsorship revenue and be accountable to meet and exceed them.
In this role you will be tasked with; developing our initial go-to-market strategy, building and leading a new sales team, leveraging your network of executive level relationships within the brand and agency community and establishing FLM as an innovative partner for brand collaboration and content creation.
The role will require you to work closely with the FLM branded content team and successfully connect FLM’s deep community of award-winning video creators and filmmakers with leading brands to create high touch, original and cinematic quality content solutions.
The ideal candidate will be able to work effectively with the FLM Marketing, Audience Development, Analytics, Operations, Programming, Product and Event teams to develop our advertising and sponsorship offerings and fulfill the quality promise we make to our brand partners.
This is an exciting opportunity to build our commercial strategy and bring it to market as part of an innovative company at the forefront of storytelling.
The position will be based in New York and will report to the SVP of Strategic Partnerships and Sales.
- Lead all facets of the sales process including strategy, identifying new and emerging categories, prospect outreach, development of sales and marketing materials, negotiating and closing partnership deals.
- Achieve annual revenue goals.
- Develop and establish business goals, KPI’s and revenue growth strategies in collaboration with the FLM leadership team.
- Create, test, and refine the sales offer, including the compelling story that highlights FLM’s value proposition.
- Identify and prioritize target accounts across a wide range of sectors in both endemic and non-endemic categories and craft solutions for each client.
- Build strong internal relationships and collaborate across the FLM organization to build unique programs on behalf of our brand partners and galvanize internal teams to ensure a smooth and efficient process for campaign execution.
- Provide needs assessment for newly formed Ad Ops team and Tech platform.
- Apply consumer data and analytics to create innovative solutions with FLM’s content and platforms.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on marketplace trends, technologies, and competitive developments and provide strategic feedback to internal stakeholders that will help inform product updates, positioning and new revenue opportunities.
- Implement and manage a robust sales management processes including sales pipeline, account planning, proposals and billing.
- Establish best practices and discipline within the team, so that FLM is considered a top partner with its clients/partners.
Background & Qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 10 years’ experience working within digital media sales or branded content of a content-driven publisher and/or entertainment/media company.
- Minimum 5 years’ of people management experience with proven ability to effectively lead and motivate a team to achieve or exceed sales targets.
- Proven history of strong, relationship-based strategic selling with senior level contacts within the marketing organizations of brands – ideally related to strategic, entertainment and influencer marketing initiatives – as well as with the agencies that service these brands.
- A senior level presence with the ability to inspire trust and represent the company to senior executives at top ad agencies and influencer brands/advertisers.
- Experience selling and closing scalable, innovative branded content products and programs.
- Expert knowledge of sales cycle, from initial prospecting through closing.
- Solid financial knowledge and ability to price and package to maximize both revenue and margins.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, an innate ability to channel different points of view; able to establish and maintain excellent relationships and credibility quickly; create team atmosphere with internal staff while achieving key objectives.
- A passion for the company’s mission, brands and content and an entrepreneurial spirit and innovative mindset to leverage all the amazing possibilities at First Look.
Topic is the entertainment studio and ambitious storytelling brand dedicated to supporting creators at the forefront of culture. From Academy Award®-winning films (Spotlight) to television (Losers), digital (aka Wyatt Cenac) and podcasts (Anthem, Missing Richard Simmons), we explore a wide range of subject matter, both fiction and nonfiction. Our approach – challenging, compelling and unconventional –reflects our commitment to discovering and amplifying independent new voices and supporting established ones.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Topic, The Nib and Field of Vision, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.