The Director, Social Strategy will oversee social strategy across the First Look Media brands (Topic Studios, Topic.com, The Nib, The Intercept, Field of Vision, Press Freedom Defense Fund). The ideal team member will have an insatiable curiosity for audience behaviors and engagement, and expert knowledge of the social and emerging media landscape.
- Oversee and develop the implementation of the social strategy across all the First Look Media brands, ensuring it aligns with our business goals, voice, and individual brand sensibilities to maximize engagement and grow the FLM digital footprint.
- Maintain an understanding of who our audiences are on social, the differences by platform and brand, and develop strategies to grow and deepen our relationship with those audiences.
- Manage the inventory across social platforms and determine the appropriate levels of support considering overall business priorities and needs in alignment with each brand’s social team.
- Collaborate with each brand’s social team to ideate native social content in support of brand vertical priorities.
- Ensure that all social campaigns are optimized and structured based on goals and KPIs.
- Participate in paid media budget allocation and boosting strategy.
- Lead the testing strategy with the goal of constant iteration and optimization.
- Work closely with the FLM Analytics team to understand and optimize performance.
- Keep up to date on the latest media, social trends, and tools and incorporate these into FLM’s social strategy; regularly provide internal teams with updated best practices and recommendations.
- Combine data and creative intuition to create social strategies and content recommendations that will attract and engage fans, build communities and drive growth.
Background & Qualifications:
- 7-10 years’ experience at a media company or agency with a focus on social strategy/marketing optimization and planning.
- Proven track record of building social audience funnels, ideally with driving subscriptions on premium video services.
- Deep knowledge of social platforms and best practices and an endless passion for innovation and experimentation in the social space.
- Experience using social tools such as Social Flow, Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics, Crown Tangle, Tubular, etc.
- Expertise in organic and paid social strategies and tactics on FB, IG, TW, YT, Reddit, etc.
- Ability to effectively communicate information and ideas, both written and verbally.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to establish strong working relationships with a variety of people across different disciplines.
- Adept at interpreting data and shaping it into actionable strategies and recommendations.
- Comfortable managing and collaborating with external agencies
- Strong writing / copy creation skills
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to self-manage and prioritize work appropriately
- Experience in a start-up environment a plus
Topic is the entertainment studio and ambitious storytelling brand dedicated to supporting creators at the forefront of culture. From Academy Award®-winning films (Spotlight) to television (Losers), digital (aka Wyatt Cenac) and podcasts (Anthem, Missing Richard Simmons), we explore a wide range of subject matter, both fiction and nonfiction. Our approach – challenging, compelling and unconventional –reflects our commitment to discovering and amplifying independent new voices and supporting established ones.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Topic, The Nib and Field of Vision, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.