About First Code
First Code Academy is empowering the next generation to become creators by teaching kids aged 5 to 18 computer programming, design thinking and entrepreneurship. Since 2013, we have taught 10,000+ students in various countries and are continuing to expand our global presence. We believe that it takes a team to build something big; if you have a love for technology and want to make a meaningful impact in next generation’s education, join us now!
About the Role
First Code takes pride in providing top-notch online technology courses for children. Our instructors teach, inspire, mentor our students, and guide them from zero programming background to a general proficiency.
This role requires a high degree of autonomy, entrepreneurial drive and passion toward technology. It is neither a regular teaching role nor a programming role. You take your passion in building and making things, and pass it on to the next generation. You have a natural knack for engaging an audience, patience working with active and inquisitive minds, and the ability to break down complex problems into smaller, digestible pieces.This role provides first-hand experience in shaping the minds of our next generation.
Classroom quality is our top priority. All instructors are committed for long-term teaching and have to go through a comprehensive training program designed collaboratively by First Code lead instructors and professional educators. Through our program, each prospective instructor picks up the design philosophy of our programs and teaching strategies.
- Experience in, or an Interest in teaching kids: You are inspired by kids and love spending time with them. You are patient to get your ideas through to students, and motivated to see them succeed.
- Passion for technology: You studied, or are studying, computer science, engineering, science or mathematics. You have the desire to learn more about computer programming. You frequently read up on news in the field, and light up when talking about new technology.
- Maker's mindset: You like to build things. Whether it is a weekend side project or an open source project, you are always tinkering and actively exploring new ideas
- Communications skills: Instructors are responsible for communicating often complex and abstract programming concepts to young students. You are fluent in English and are good at communicating your ideas verbally, through analogies and repetition if necessary. At the same time you are able to adjust your presentation depending on the audience
- Service commitment: You care about the learning progress of our students like we do and are dedicated to their success.
- Availability: This is a flexible job and we do not require that you teach for a certain amount of hours per week. We just ask for a minimum of 6 available hours per week during which we can schedule you for classes.
What you’ll get
- A chance to learn other programming languages and skills
- Join us in revolutionizing the concept of education
- Shape the direction of First Code Academy
- Be a part of a compassionate team that treats you like family and emphasizes open communication
- Take part in online social events where we get together and talk about coding, learn new skills and discuss updates in the tech industry
Get involved in large scale global events such as AppJamming Summit (http://appjammingsummit.org/), a regional app competition for kids from age 8 to 16 to showcase their app creation.