First is a venture-funded startup at the intersection of predictive analytics and real estate tech. We identify when and why people will move, and build products to change the game for real estate professionals and consumers.
Our team is focused on shipping great products and driving innovation in a massive industry (2014 realtor commissions were >$69B). We believe in continuous improvement and sharing knowledge - whether through pair programming, speaking at meetups, and eventually open-sourcing parts of our system.
As an early and senior member of a growing team, you’ll work on a cross-functional product team, with significant ownership, input, and influence over the work that we do, and how we do it. You will work with our VP of Engineering to help guide key design, architecture and technology decisions. You will build applications that reliably scale to support products and the needs of our rapidly growing userbase as well as our data science team. When you’re successful, your work will increase the efficiency and productivity of real estate agents across the country.
What you bring to the table
- Passion for startups and building tools that will be used to change the face of real estate
- Generalist mindset, excited to jump into many parts of the stack to ship working software
- 8+ years software development experience; 5+ years experience in Ruby
- Clear, effective communication skills, both written and verbal
- Experience with agile practices, including TDD, continuous delivery, object oriented design, SOLID principles, etc.
- Comfort with asynchronous development: pull requests, chat, email, etc
- Relational database and schema design expertise (Postgres preferred)
- Experience scaling APIs, databases, and infrastructure
Extra bonus points for
- Operational skills, or willingness to learn — Ansible, Chef, Puppet, etc.
- Desire to grow and lead a team of engineers
- Proficiency in GitHub workflow
- A strong understanding of cloud computing and hands on experience with AWS
- Experience with pair programming (remote or in-person)
- Experience working on a geographically distributed team
- Open source contributions and/or side projects
Why we love it here
- Work with a team that inspires and challenges each other to grow
- Great health benefits: we’ve got you covered with health and dental - we pay 100% of your premiums and 50% for dependents
- Competitive salary and stock options
- 15 days paid time off plus company paid holidays
- Remote and on-site: work with us in Durham, NC in our American Underground office
First offers equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, veteran or military status and other protected class characteristics.