Firework is the world's leading immersive "shoppertainment" platform with shoppable video, live streaming commerce, and monetization capabilities powering over 600 direct-to-consumer brands, retailers and media publishers worldwide. Firework enables its customers to create and host native, shoppable video content for engaging product discovery, seamless shopping experiences and ultimately, a deeper emotional connection with consumers. Pandemic-accelerated, Firework has experienced 10x year-over-year growth, bringing TikTok-like interactive video experiences, all by adding just one line of HTML code to customers’ own websites. Our team more than doubled in size in the last 18 months to about 300 people strong in several countries including the US, Japan, India, Poland, Brazil, and Canada with backgrounds in technology, media, and entertainment. At heart, we’re an inspirational and diverse team of creators, entrepreneurs, storytellers, and data geeks driven by the future of video transforming eCommerce. The company has raised over $235M to date, with its latest Series B round led by SoftBank Vision Fund 2.
Our engineering team is growing! We’re looking for a seasoned Sr. Backend Software Engineer who possesses a passion for pushing technologies to the limits. You’ll work closely with the data team and the rest of the engineering team to build elegant and scalable product experience across multiple platforms.
What you’ll be doing
- Build backend infrastructure and services using Elixir and Python
- Design and develop REST APIs / GraphQL for data and machine learning services
- Take full stack ownership by consistently writing production-ready and testable code
- Improve database and query performance
- Consistently creates optimal design adhering to architectural best practices; considers scalability, reliability and performance of systems/ contexts affected when defining technical designs
- Contribute to a culture of innovation, collaboration and continuous improvement
- Take feedback from code review and apply changes to meet standards. Conduct code reviews to provide guidance on engineering best practices and compliance with development procedures
We’ll be excited if you have
- BS or MS in Computer Science or any relevant STEM majors.
- Expert level in SQL and SQL optimizations
- 3+ years developing highly scalable production grade backend services using 2 out of 4 programming languages (Elixir, Erlang, Python, Ruby), Having used Elixir is a huge plus but is not required.
- Knowledge in database systems and NoSQL databases such as DynamoDB.
- Have worked directly with distributed processing frameworks such as Hadoop, Spark, Beam … or have worked on a backend system that interact meaningfully with such a framework is a big plus
- Work autonomously, are excited by new platform, big data, machine learning technologies, and will never back down from the challenges of scale
- Passionate about writing clean and testable code
The role may be hybrid in one of our offices or remote. For remote, we are looking for candidates based in the United States.
Don’t hold back
We understand some candidates may see the above and not apply because they don’t meet all the qualifications. We encourage you to apply anyway; we often find talented candidates that fit many other opportunities we have and look for potential too, not just what you did in the past. As an equal employment opportunity employer, we are a diverse team that strives for an inclusive environment for all. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.