About the Role
FireHydrant is looking for an experienced Design Systems Engineer to join our Design Team. In this role, you’ll serve as a bridge between engineering and design, by focusing on developing the design system across its three aspects (principles, components, themes), collaborating with product design to define UX best practices, creating governance systems for internal contribution to the design system, and consistently reviewing incoming components from collaborators outside of the Design System team to prevent inconsistencies in the UX.
You’ll be working on
- Owning the development of high-priority components for our design system
- Leading the migration of our current platform to the latest design system standards
- Creating governance and contribution standards for our design system repos
- Collaborating with other frontend engineers in establishing best practices for component development
- Defining design principles in collaboration with product designers
- Determining best practices for theming development as our core products continue to expand
- Championing accessibility best practices for modern software interfaces at a code level
- Recommending and implementing state-of-the-art libraries to be used for flawless frontend microinteractions
We’re looking for someone who
- Has led the implementation of a design system across an organization
- Has a strong eye for design quality, while understanding technical constraints
- Enjoys collaborating with designers on a daily basis
- Is fascinated by frontend engineering and pushing the envelope of what can be done in user interfaces
- Enjoys working on new challenges and brings a core set of modern React skills to solve them
- Can pick the right technologies for the job, and is excited to learn the right technologies when they need to
- Takes ownership of a project from concept to production
- Enjoys working with, teaching, and learning from a diverse group of people
- Thrives in a fast-paced product-led technology company, communicates well both synchronously and asynchronously, and has experience working on a distributed team
You should include these in your application:
- A link to your online portfolio, Github profile, or another platform that highlights your work
- A design systems-related book, blog, or podcast recommendation
- Your resume, CV, or LinkedIn profile
FireHydrant is building the only reliability-focused platform. The FireHydrant platform includes Incident Response, Status Pages, and more, so you can take control of your complex system, reduce downtime, and work better together. We’re a Series B company with around 100 employees who sit across the United States and we’re growing. Check out our blog to learn more about us.
- 100% employer-paid health, vision, and dental premiums for the employee and 75% for dependents
- Unlimited vacation policy with a minimum requirement of three weeks off per year, with sustainable working hours and healthy work/life balance
- Home office stipend: get your workspace set up in a way that works best for you
- 401k match
Life at FireHydrant
- We’re remote-first with employees around the US, our headquarters is in NYC (Union Square)
- 1-2x per year we will gather as a company, depending on the safety of such gathering, and have virtual events throughout the year
- We collaborate through Slack, Zoom, Figma, Notion, and Clubhouse
- Kind candor - we expect honesty delivered through kindness, first and foremost
- Transparency & equity - information is shared openly in Slack channels; we welcome ideas and contributions regardless of role or experience level
- Mutual mentorship - we believe in the power of mentorship and that everyone (of all skill levels) has something to learn, and something to teach
FireHydrant believes that everyone should be compensated fairly and we strive for transparency within our organization and the industry. We set our salaries at the 75th percentile based on compensation data from hundreds of companies at our stage and everyone in a given role is paid the same without adjusting for the locality. The comp for this role is $190,000 (Senior), $215,000 (Staff), or $240,000 (Principal) depending on leveling.
- FireHydrant requires that all newly hired employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodations provided based on medical need or religious belief.
- All employees must be able to show authorization to work in the US.
Note: FireHydrant is not working with agencies for this role.