We are hiring a creative Support Software Engineer to join our ProdOps team in London and manage a product stream for small valuable features that fit outside the strategic product roadmap. The main purpose of ProdOps is to try to keep BAU (Business As Usual) software engineering work moving at all times and minimize distractions for Product delivery teams.
Our ProdOps team also act as the bridge between our Product delivery and Customer Service teams to calmly triage, diagnose, debug and resolve the incidents. You will help ensure the satisfaction of our users and the business by taking ownership of live site incidents and ensuring that full service is restored as quickly as possible. Consequently, this role will have a tangible impact on user satisfaction.
This role could be of interest to a QA Engineer looking to transition into Software development.
In the role you will:
- Take ownership of live site incidents (e.g. a bug being reported) and work with other engineers to investigate and fix the problems.
- Take ownership of post-mortem investigations of live site incidents with engineering teams.
- Update and maintain a system to ensure that incidents are tracked, categorised and handled effectively.
- Help create and maintain tooling to automate any and all manual repetitive tasks.
- Implement smaller features and execute BAU requests.
- Maintain contact with our Software Engineering, Customer Support, Marketing, Analytics team and other stakeholders helping them complete their tasks.
- Constantly work towards shortening the mean time to recovery across our websites.
Essential skills and experience:
- Excellent communicator
- Excellent hands-on investigative, troubleshooting and problem solving skills including experience in debugging software applications.
- An in depth knowledge of web development.
- Working experience of writing SQL queries.
- Knowledge of a programming (preferably C# or Java) or scripting (preferably Python) language.
- At least 2 years of commercial experience in an engineering role such as: Software developer in test; QA Engineer; Developer Support Engineer; or similar.
Please read our tech blog: http://tech.findmypast.com for more insight into our engineering practices and culture.
Findmypast is the technology company behind the online genealogy brand Findmypast and the social history brand The British Newspaper Archive. We get two million page views per day from fifty thousand unique visitors. The foundation of our products is an ever growing database of eight billion historical records.
Benefits include pension, private medical cover, gym discounts, dedicated yearly training budget to use as you see fit, relaxed dress code, informal environment and morale events. We host yearly tech summits where all the engineering team members come together off site, share knowledge and hang out.