Findmypast is looking to capitalise on the growing interest of consumers to understand their personal heritage and to leave a legacy for future generations of their family.
Working with Findmypast you have the chance to have a meaningful effect on people’s lives. Users often come to us in search of profound insight into their family stories often at sensitive times in their lives. Our users are passionate about their family history and as a designer it is a privilege and a responsibility to have an influence on something so very meaningful to so many people’s lives.
With a renewed focus on design and technology, we aim to take our services to a new level of excellence, and you will be a key part of this change. Millions of people use our sites and services based around family history, and we want to excite them with upcoming improvements and our expansions into new areas.
In order to make that happen, we need a great mid-level to senior product designer to join our growing team in Dundee, Scotland whilst working closely with our main office in London. The role of the Digital Product Designer is aimed at exploring, defining and executing on new business opportunities that create appeal to the user demographic. This is a strategically important role and will require an exceptional individual who is driven, focused, organised and has experience as part of a start-up team and is comfortable with that environment and associated needs and challenges.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Lead end-to-end design — from generating customer insight, to sketching solutions and high-fidelity design, with everything in between.
- Bring design and methodology thought-leadership to the table — challenge and add value to everything we do.
- Work autonomously and solve problems, to own and deliver outcomes — we have a flat structure and you need to be comfortable owning and delivering with minimum guidance.
- Work collaboratively in a team with other Product Designers, Engineers and Product Managers towards the product vision.
- Bring a positive can-do attitude to everything you do.
- Act with urgency and pace.
Essential Skills and experience required:
- A lean approach; your default is to produce the minimum needed to move forward. You’re as comfortable exploring ideas with pen and paper as you are with high-fidelity designs.
- An ability to apply UX frameworks, processes and techniques intelligently to solve complex problems
- Experience building something from scratch (ideally in a start-up), not just optimising things that already exist.
- A good mix of both UX and UI skills — you can run a user interview in the morning and create a product style guide in the afternoon.
- An excellent understanding of how to interpret customer feedback and turn it into valuable insight.
- Strong opinions about good design and design methodologies. You want to share your design thought-leadership with the world.
- An ability to work with uncertainty and quickly adapt to new learning and information. You put delivering value to customers first and your ego last.
- You live and breathe design tools like: Sketch, Adobe CS, online testing services like usertesting.com, Omnigraffle and MindNode.
- An excellent knowledge of prototyping tools like: Invision, Marvel, Proto.io and Axure.
One of the leading websites for family research in the world, Findmypast has helped to transform the way people discover their ancestors. We work tirelessly to digitize and preserve the world's national archives for future generations to enjoy. We're a British-owned company with 18 million registered users across a plethora of websites including Findmypast (UK/US/IE/AU), Genes reunited and The British Newspaper Archive (UK/US/IE/AU), Genes reunited and The British Newspaper Archive.
And if you thought family history was a little dry and dusty, think again! We're a passionate bunch of people who take pride in everything we do. Constantly innovating to ensure we remain a leading force in the world of family history, we only hire the best people for the job. In return we offer a vibrant workplace.
And because we know a happy team is a productive one, we work as hard at making the office a fun environment for everyone to work in. So whether it's free fruit, subsidised gym membership, cycle to work schemes or a complimentary lunch once a month – you'll find the perks are pretty good at Findmypast.
- Pension – 3% employee and 3% employer contribution
- Life Assurance
We also offer a flexible benefits system where you can select from the following benefits up to the value of 3% of salary:
- Pension: Additional 3% employer contribution (must be matched by employee
- Private medical cover
- Health cash plan
- Dental cash plan
- Corporate gym discount
- Cash - It’s also an option to have your 3% benefits allowance paid as a cash amount.
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work
- Season travel tickets
Other benefits include:
- Free fruit
- Monthly Company Lunch
- Regular Social Events
- Subscription to Findmypast website