Software Engineer – Search (SOLR)
Findmypast is entering in to a period of sustained growth and expansion, both in the UK and the USA, as it looks to capitalise on the growing interest of consumers to understand their personal heritage and to leave a legacy for future generations of their family. We handle 2 million daily page views across our sites helping to surface almost 8 billion records.
The role of ‘Software Engineer – Search’ is a strategically important role as our business is built on the ingestion, searching and surfacing of historical data sets. Consequently, the successful applicant will work in a small cross functional team to help transform the Search capability of our technology platform both from a back-end and a front-end perspective; maximizing the exposure, searchability and surfacing of the eight billion+ records in our database.
Required Skills & Experience
- 5+ years of commercial software engineering experience
- 3+ years of experience with SOLR / Elasticsearch / Lucene or other
- Experience of or with:
- Application and tuning of search algorithms
- Algorithm implementation and design
- Significant Search architecture experience
- Confidence with operational practices relating to search
- A background working on recommendation platforms
- A proven track record of improving search functionality
- An open mind to being a full stack developer – even if it’s not 50/50 back/front dev!
- Passion for quality (e.g. TDD / BDD) and hunger to be a lifelong learner
Desirable skills and experience:
- Involvement in previous search re-architecture efforts
- SOLR Cloud expertise
- Experience working on scalable web applications, services, APIs or high traffic sites
You are welcome to review our tech blog for content from our engineering teams: http://tech.findmypast.com/
We want to build the best tech team in London! Please apply now and come be a part of it.