Findmypast is entering in to a period of sustained growth and expansion, both in the UK and the USA, as it looks to capitalise on the growing interest of consumers to understand their personal heritage and to leave a legacy for future generations of their family.
As a business built on the ingestion, searching and surfacing of historical data sets we have unique insight in to the past, unrivalled by companies like Google and Facebook and we are planning significant product development in the coming months. In order to make that happen, we need great people to join our growing team in London, Dundee and the Greater Salt Lake City / Provo area (USA).
The role of the Product Manager for Search experience and technologies is to transform the Search capability of our technology platform both from a back-end and a front-end perspective, maximizing the exposure of the more than eight billion names in our database whilst ensuring the wide needs of our users are addressed in a scalable and efficient way.
This is a strategically important role and will require an exceptional individual who is driven, focused, organised and has significant experience of implementing Search across massive data sets.
- Developing a deep understanding of our user and business needs and building a corresponding strategy to
- delivery rapid, incremental change to our Search capabilities
- Working across the business with multiple teams, balancing competing needs and taking ownership of the
- Defining the key metrics both for user outcomes and delivery milestones
- Leading the product delivery process
- Regular reporting on progress/outcomes to ensure transparency and support for the efforts of the Product
- Management team
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Working with multiple, large data sets, both structured and un-structured, to ensure customer success
- Experience of solutions that utilise commonly used search technology like Elasticsearch, SOLR etc as well as
- emerging search technologies
- Experience measuring / improving search results over time in terms of precision, recall and other critical
- Working with Search as a conversion tool (i.e. a commercial driver)
- Deep understanding of different search challenges e.g. faceted meta-data, indexing, weighting &
- prioritising, hinting and matching, semantic search,
- Implementing cross-domain Search functionality
- Search UX and UI e.g. smart breadcrumbs; synonym aliasing; auto-complete
- Proven experience working with an agile and lean Product Engineering team delivering incrementally;
- Previously worked within a data-driven company in the context of consumer facing applications
- Previously worked in an outcome focussed Product Engineering team where experimentation is the norm
One of the leading websites for family research in the world, Findmypast has helped to transform the way people discover their ancestors. We work tirelessly to digitize and preserve the world's national archives for future generations to enjoy. We're a British-owned company with 18 million registered users across a plethora of websites including Findmypast (UK/US/IE/AU), Genes reunited and The British Newspaper Archive (UK/US/IE/AU), Genes reunited and The British Newspaper Archive.
And if you thought family history was a little dry and dusty, think again! We're a passionate bunch of people who take pride in everything we do. Constantly innovating to ensure we remain a leading force in the world of family history, we only hire the best people for the job. In return we offer a vibrant workplace.
Our quirky head office is based in a converted chapel in London's trendy Old Street. And because we know a happy team is a productive one, we work as hard at making the office a fun environment for everyone to work in. So whether it's free fruit, subsidized gym membership, cycle to work schemes or a complimentary lunch once a month – you'll find the perks are pretty good at Findmypast.
And we know it’s not just what you do, but how you do it so Findmypast values are an important part of how we work. Our four values Be Bold, Be Honest, Be Brilliant and Be Caring are at the heart of everything we do.
Over 100 people work in our London head office, but we've also got offices in New York, Provo, Sydney, Dublin and Dundee.
Pension – 3% employee and 3% employer contribution
We also offer a flexible benefits system where you can select from the following benefits up to the value of 3% of salary:
Pension: Additional 3% employer contribution (must be matched by employee)
Private medical cover
Health cash plan
Dental cash plan
Corporate gym discounts
Cash It’s also an option to have your 3% benefits allowance paid as a cash amount
Cycle to work
Season travel tickets
- Free fruit
- Monthly Company Lunch
- Regular Social Events
- Subscription to Findmypast website