Position Summary and company
Here at the The Financial Times , gold-standard journalism is just the beginning. 500-people strong, our Product and Tech team keeps us ahead of the ever-changing digital landscape by delivering cutting-edge products to over one million digital subscribers every day. Our plans for growth rely on a diverse, dedicated and dynamic group of product, tech, delivery and data specialists - everyone’s welcome in this friendly, forward-thinking team. And with entrepreneurial spirit, intelligence and opportunity at every turn, there’s no limits to where your FT career will take you.
Learn more about the FT, including announcements and career opportunities, at aboutus.ft.com.
This is an exciting opportunity for an engineer to join the FT Core group as part of Product & Technology organisation within FT that brings together key digital assets like:
Content and Metadata - enabling content publishing, smart metadata annotations, content discoverability and delivery in various forms and formats.
Membership - powering a seamless subscription/payments/access and the whole newspaper distribution customer journeys
Data Platform - enabling storing, processing and getting insights from readership data
The Content and Metadata team is responsible for the digital content publishing pipelines within Financial Times. Once processed the content is annotated both manually and automatically with smart metadata and delivered in various formats to the consumers. The content annotation mechanism is powered by a comprehensive knowledge graph and artificial intelligence.
We are looking for Tech Lead whom we will get in charge of one of our Engineering teams within the Content & Metadata division.
We have recently published our Engineering Progression framework and associated competencies for a Software Engineer relevant to this position.
This role will be right for you if you are happy to
- Work directly with product owners and stakeholders to fully shape solutions from inception to deployment and beyond.
- Lead a team of engineers in an agile delivery team
- Tackle complex technical challenges that you have never faced before.
- Learn new things and adapt quickly to the constantly changing technology landscape.
- Write design documents and architectural diagrams from functional specifications.
- Contribute to company-wide processes, frameworks and guidelines.
- Be a team player with focus on the importance of cross team communication and collaboration.
- Understand and play an active part in designing the architecture, tooling and release cycle processes used by the engineering teams across Product & Technology
- Be an empathic leader understanding the fine balance between doing the best for the team while keeping the commitment to the business and its stakeholders.
The Tech Stack
We often use these, it's not an exhaustive list but gives you a taste of what our technology stack and tools look like:
- Programming languages: Go, Java & Nodejs
- Various DBs - MongoDB, Neo4j, MySQL
- AWS & Heroku
- Docker, Kubernetes, Helm
- Grafana, Splunk, Pingdom
- Jenkins, CircleCI
The ideal candidate profile is
- High proficiency with one of the two programming languages used in the Content & Metadata platform - Go and Java, but we are open to people willing to learn Go even if they don’t have Java proficiency
- Experience as a Team Lead of medium sized teams
- Proficiency using cloud infrastructure providers such as AWS or GCP
- Experience in provisioning cloud infrastructure as code
- Good understanding of the principles and trade-offs of a microservices architecture
- Experience with monitoring of production systems
- Experience in using third party solutions.
- Being able to establish and be promoter of good code practices
- Being able to architect and lead the development of solutions based on functional requirements
- Being the person responsible for the career development of your reports
- Experience with graph databases
- Experience with Kubernetes & Helm
- Experience with distributed systems
- Proficiency using Docker
In Return, We Can Offer You
- Annual bonus scheme
- 25 days annual paid leave
- 24/7 Employee Assistance Program
- Life Insurance
- Enhanced Maternity and Paternity Leave policy
- Food Vouchers
- Multisport Card
- Work-life balance and work from home practice
- Both in house and external training programs
- Your own training dedicated budget (for conferences, courses etc.)
There’s a lot going on at Financial Times! Click to find out more about us on FT.com.
Don't hesitate to send over your CV!
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
At the FT, we aim for employees across all regions to have a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs. We'll continue to remove barriers for all, and in particular barriers facing employees from underrepresented groups.