At Figment, our mission is to create an Internet that is truly decentralized where users can freely interact, share, collaborate, and exchange goods and services in a trustless environment. We offer staking, middleware, and application layer solutions for token holders and developers investing in and building on Web 3 technologies. Together, we can build a better Internet.
We run 60+ blockchains here at Figment. Come help us get to 600+.
This is a full-time remote position, with team members in North America and Europe.
We are seeking an experienced DevOps Engineer to help us scale out our operations by planning and implementing projects to manage fleets of blockchain servers. This role presents unique opportunities to be involved in building out tooling where none exists in the industry. You will build production systems that need to handle newer (sometimes alpha quality) blockchain software. You’ll need to consider all aspects of security, monitoring, maintainability, and stability.
You will report to the Automation Team Lead and work with a group of DevOps engineers focused on automating all things related to running blockchain software. It’s critical that you are comfortable working in an unstructured environment, dealing with uncertainty, minimal direction, and working across a wide range of projects.
- Lead the planning, testing, implementation, and management of projects to deliver scalable, maintainable, secure, and stable deployments across a number of different use cases.
- Identify common areas where automation can significantly increase our ability to manage all our infrastructure.
- Identify areas of systemic risk, and then evaluate, propose, and implement solutions
- Manage and monitor cloud and physical servers across multiple global hosting services and data centers
- Automation of blockchain software build, install, and management processes
- Linux server administration, hardening, intrusion detection, and vulnerability scanning
- Debugging complex distributed blockchains to help run them smoothly
- Identify tasks and processes that get stuck or move slowly and support the team in pushing them through.
- Explain broad initiatives and vision to Engineering Leadership and Product.
- Demonstrate technical expertise in multiple domains and act as a mentor to others on the team.
- In-depth experience supporting Linux servers in large environments with over 500 servers, preferably in highly secure and highly available 24/7 environments.
- Deep troubleshooting expertise to quickly identify server, network, and application issues, and methodical approach to implementing, testing, and measuring changes to remediate issues.
- Experience troubleshooting complex application flows which span multiple clusters of systems.
- Knowledge of common OS and application level settings to optimize system performance.
- Experience with common system administration scripting languages such as bash and Python.
- In-depth experience using Ansible (or similar tools) to environments with over 500 servers.
- Experience designing complex static and dynamic inventories, variable structures, and playbooks.
- Writing custom Ansible roles from scratch with advanced features of Ansible such as Jinja2 templating, complex logic flows, dynamic role/task includes, and handlers.
- Strong focus on ensuring idempotency & reusability and following best practices where they make sense.
- In-depth experience creating well organized modules with Terraform to ensure cloud provisioning automation can be easily reused.
- Experience creating image build pipelines with Packer.
- Deep understanding of networking and security best practices
- Experience with Hashicorp Vault or other secure storage tools.
- Experience working in environments with high security requirements.
Nice to have, but not required
- Ansible role testing with Molecule (or similar tools) and Ansible module development experience
- Knowledge of, or experience with, Proof-of-Work and Proof-of-Stake decentralized consensus mechanisms used in blockchains
- Experience running applications on Kubernetes
- Experience creating CI/CD pipelines from scratch to automate infrastructure provisioning and deploy applications (GitHub Actions or similar tools).
Benefits & Impact
- Remote First + Hybrid Working Environment: Fully remote-first teams with regular team retreats to foster team bonding
- Professional Culture: A culture of honesty, professionalism and risk taking in a high-growth environment
- Work/Life Flexibility: Remote work with a flexible PTO policy - 20 days PTO plus 5 flexible days
- Family-Friendly Benefits: Best in class parental leave and flexible arrangements
- Health & Wellness: Company-paid medical/vision/dental for employees and family
- Compensation: Comprehensive packages including competitive salary, bonus and equity
At Figment, our mission is to support the adoption, growth and long term success of the Web 3 ecosystem. This is Figment’s unique approach: we make it simple to build on the next generation of blockchain technology.
We provide enterprise grade node and staking infrastructure and developer tools while also actively participating in community & governance.