We are looking for an Electrical Engineer to develop hardware and firmware for radiation effects testing. Join us and be an integral part of an innovative industry leading company who specializes in the designing and testing of microelectronics and electro-optics in space environments, providing quality engineering services and products to the DoD.
Keep reading IF:
YOU ARE CREATIVE. You take initiative to think up new ideas and solutions and implement them strategically and effectively. You are not afraid to step outside of your comfort zone to learn new techniques and thrive when there is uncertainty in the project, creating opportunity for development.
YOU ARE A TEAM PLAYER. You thrive working in team environments, sharing ideas and solutions while also effectively managing your time to meet various deadlines.
YOU ARE A SELF-STARTER. You enjoy wearing many hats while diligently meeting deadlines and budgeting a project accurately.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND TRAINING MAY INCLUDE:
In the first 30 days and ongoing:
- Learn Fifth Gait’s services, processes and procedures, and facilities
- Become familiar with the physics of ionizing and non-ionizing radiation environments and the effects on semiconductors and sensors
- Have foundational knowledge of design, construction, testing and analysis for radiation testing on electronic parts
- Be familiar with the tools and instruments required for designing and constructing circuit boards, including PCB design software, soldering station, microscope, power supplies, digital multimeters, oscilloscopes, function generators, and data acquisition systems
By 90-day mark and ongoing:
- Have an understanding of nuclear physics and the effects of ionizing and non-ionizing radiation on semiconductors
- Implement complex embedded system configurations on microcontrollers or FPGAs for radiation testing
- Design and develop PCB layouts for test fixtures
- Develop software applications for data acquisition
By 6th month mark and ongoing:
- Execute testing for microelectronics from research and design through final analysis and reporting
- Thoroughly understand the estimated life cycle for conducting an experiment from start to finish, from simple to more complex parts, with deadlines and budget in mind
- Develop and manage 2-3 tests at a time through the entire life cycle, from design to analysis, with minimal supervision, demonstrating the properties of electronic circuits in radiation environments
EDUCATION, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, or related fields required
- Advanced degree is a plus
- 5+ years of related work experience in:
- Embedded systems design, analysis and testing
- Programming with C/C++, C# and Python
- Working with microcontrollers, FPGAs, embedded programming
- Hardware Description Languages (HDL) such as Verilog or VHDL
- Mixed signal design and high-speed data acquisition experience is a plus
- Working experience with radiation test facilities and/or nuclear physics is a plus
- MUST be able to obtain a DoD Secret security clearance (either active or previously held is a plus)
WHO WE ARE:
Fifth Gait Technologies, Inc., founded in 2007, is a minority woman-owned small business providing quality and timely engineering services and products to the DoD. Since its inception, the company has evolved its capabilities into becoming the leading provider of nuclear hardened designs which have the ability to not only survive but operate through challenging environments.
Fifth Gait scientists and engineers continue to develop radiation standards, software and tools, and unprecedented design technologies.
OUR BENEFITS: Fifth Gait offers competitive salaries and outstanding benefits including medical, dental, and optical coverage, annual bonuses, and a retirement plan including company matching.