Job Title: Software Engineer (Rails)
Department: Digital & IT
Reporting Line: Software Engineering Manager
Location: Kampala or Berlin
About ENGIE Energy Access
ENGIE Energy Access is one of the leading Pay-As-You-Go (PAYGo) and mini-grids solutions provider in Africa, with a mission to deliver affordable, reliable and sustainable energy solutions and life-changing services with exceptional customer experience. The company is a result of the integration of Fenix International, ENGIE Mobisol and ENGIE PowerCorner; and develops innovative, off-grid solar solutions for homes, public services and businesses, enabling customers and distribution partners access to clean, affordable energy. The PAYGo solar home systems are financed through affordable installments from $0.14 per day and the mini-grids foster economic development by enabling electrical productive use and triggering business opportunities for entrepreneurs in rural communities. With over 1,700 employees, operations in 9 countries across Africa (Benin, Cote d’Ivoire, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia), over 1 million customers and more than 5 million lives impacted so far, ENGIE Energy Access aims to remain the leading clean energy company, serving millions of customers across Africa by 2025.
We are looking for a talented, self-starting full-stack software engineer to join the digital team to help deliver affordable solar power to emerging markets. This position offers a great opportunity to work alongside an elite team of engineers and business professionals and directly contribute to the success of a mission driven company with social and environmental impact. Candidates will get the opportunity to work in a diverse technology stack at scale.
This position offers a great opportunity to develop the Backbone of our operations, which we also sell to other businesses in the Paygo sector as Software as a Service.
- Participate in the software planning sessions, together with product managers and engineers to discuss delivery time estimates, risks and key practical considerations(such as technical debt, feasibility at scale ….)
- Take requirements and deliver a complete solution subject to all engineering best practices, timeline considerations and potential dependencies in the software with minimal to no supervision.
- Work close with stakeholders to deliver solutions which fit the needs of the business
- Participate in Peer-Review, ensuring high quality software solutions with a minimum of bugs and unforeseen side-effects
- Participate and contribute to architectural discussion on important areas of software that impact performance and reliability of our software. Identify and communicate risk in approaches or implementation details, assumptions, etc...
- Mentor junior engineers and provide technical guidance
- Provide support where engineering intervention is required (e.g due to bugs or performance problems)
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelors or Masters in a relevant engineering discipline (Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science preferred)
- 2 - 3 years of practical experience in software engineering
- HTML4/5, CSS3, AJAX along with strong knowledge of DOM
- TDD in Ruby/Rails
- Experience creating and maintaining scalable web applications: Background Jobs, Event Queues, Containerization, Linux
- Experience on high availability, observability and structured logging
- API design to scale in Ruby (REST, Graphql, ...)
- Good knowledge of Databases (Mysql) and object relational mappers (ActiveRecord) and their implementation design patterns
- Appreciation for detailed source code documentation and organized code structuring
- Software deployment pipelines and best practice (CI/CD)
- Excellent knowledge of computer algorithms and solid computer science fundamentals
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
Desired Skills & Experience
- 4+ years of experience
- Forward thinking with ability to recognize the impact of technology in business
- Strong software engineering and architectural patterns background(MVC, MVP, CQRS, DDD, SOLID, hexagonal, Microservices)
- Knowledge of key components and dependencies used in current system: ActiveAdmin, Grape, Sidekiq, Rspec, Searchd
- Knowledge of container orchestration using Kubernetes(and associated tools such as Kops, ksync, telepresence, terraform...), is a strong advantage
- Server backend management experience (Linux, MySQL, Systemd, Apache, Nginx, etc)
- Good knowledge of web application security
- Knowledge of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and its services, such as, but not limited to, EC2 ,RDS, EBS, S3, Lambda functions
- Working knowledge of good practices for computer and data security
- Experience with git and GitLab based source code management
ENGIE is an equal opportunity employer, promoting diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all. All applications are screened based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without any regard to origin, age, name, sexual identity, orientation or preference, religion, marital status, health, disability, political opinions, union involvement or citizenship. Our differences are our strengths!
a significant exposure to Ethics risk given the geographical footprint (9 African markets) and type of activities (B2C, with large sales force on the field), this hire is critical for business continuity.