Job Title: Quality Assurance Specialist - Incoming Quality Control
Department: Operations & RnD
Reporting Line: Head of Africa Operations
Location: Africa EEA markets
About ENGIE Energy Access
ENGIE Energy Access is a leading Pay-As-You-Go (PAYGo) and mini-grids solutions provider in Africa, with a mission to deliver affordable, reliable and sustainable energy solutions and life-changing services with exceptional customer experience. The company is a result of the integration of Fenix International, ENGIE Mobisol and ENGIE PowerCorner; and develops innovative, off-grid solar solutions for homes, public services and businesses, enabling customers and distribution partners access to clean, affordable energy. The PAYGo solar home systems are financed through affordable installments from $0.14 per day and the mini-grids foster economic development by enabling electrical productive use and triggering business opportunities for entrepreneurs in rural communities.
With over 1,700 employees, operations in nine countries across Africa (Benin, Cote d’Ivoire, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia), over 1 million customers and more than 5 million lives impacted so far, ENGIE Energy Access aims to remain a leading clean energy company, serving millions of customers across Africa by 2025.
Majority of the EEA business line product value chain activities including distribution, repair, refurbishment, and sales are done in Africa. The Quality Assurance -IQC function is placed to monitor the end-to-end product quality during the arrival in the countries, in-land distribution to points of sales, and refurbishment to the end of life of the product.
- Train, drive, and support quality control processes from products reception, while at warehouse and during transportation to POSs continuous improvement initiatives in the country
- Develop internal standards for IQC, in-country stock movement and stock-keeping standards as well as transport to maintain end-to-end product integrity.
- Follow through the implementation of developed standards, processes, and procedures for quality control across all countries of operation.
- Provide reports on Incoming Quality Control yield rates and feedback for manufacturing, product, and R&D.
- Recommend and monitor corrective and preventive actions for non-conformities during IQC.
- Manage and oversee any product rework projects that may arise from non-conformities seen during products reception, while at warehouse and during transportation, recalls from field (refurbishment) from planning, execution, and closure stage with support from engineering, manufacturing, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Develop scorecard metrics for measuring product quality across the value chain – work closely with product and RnD, manufacturing quality, and country Operations teams to identify measurable KPIs.
- Ensure that processes and tools for identifying hardware failures from the customer and from technical centers (refurbishment/repair) are fully functional and provide accurate information about product performance for RnD, manufacturing, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Create timetables for quality audits, conduct audits and ensure audit results are disseminated to country operations for improvement. Conduct regular review of the effectiveness of product and process improvements made.
- Set strategic goals for in-country teams to ensure that infant failure rates and reliability failures are kept within acceptable limits as defined in the department’s goals/plans.
- Be a point person for all hardware product health data, and visualizations for products during reception, while at warehouse and during transportation
- Use data to derive measurable metrics to be used to benchmark quality performance of each country, and informed conclusions regarding product quality feedback.
- Close the loop – ensure information on product failures and rates reaches R&D and product development in time to support reactive product improvements, and the setup of preventive measures.
- Provide information on product failures in-warranty to upstream supply chain (China) to claim warranty and re-negotiate spare parts rate with suppliers; manage warranty claims process with countries of operation.
Knowledge and skills
- Minimum 2 years of experience in quality control, engineering, quality management, production/manufacturing quality, lean management, or related fields.
- Ability to get hands-on, evaluate process gaps, and formulate solutions to improve quality control in daily operations.
- Technical knowledge of formulating standards, policies, processes, and procedures suiting multiple operations to achieve QC goals.
- 2 years project management experience (planning, scheduling, and execution): we are looking for entrepreneurial candidates who have started or contributed significantly to a project or team.
- Electronic troubleshooting and diagnosis experience for products is relevant.
- Previous experience working with consumer hardware products.
- Ability to work with cross-cultural teams and bring together diverse teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Operations, engineering, mathematics, science, lean, or related fields.
- Master’s degree is an added advantage.
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, distill, and analyze complex data sets, and presentation of data.
- French is a plus.
- Advanced MS Office User
- Analysis and reporting tools including SQL, Tableau or Power BI
- Previous knowledge working with operations control tools and systems especially in lean/quality control.
- Basic programming knowledge (e.g., Python; C or C++)
ENGIE is an equal opportunity employer, promoting diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all. All applications are screened based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without any regard to origin, age, name, sexual identity, orientation or preference, religion, marital status, health, disability, political opinions, union involvement or citizenship. Our differences are our strengths!
A significant exposure to Ethics risk given the geographical footprint (9 African markets) and type of activities (B2C, with large sales force on the field), this hire is critical for business continuity.