Job Title: Data Scientist
Department: Central Digital and IT - Data
Reporting line: Head of Data
Location: Kampala, Berlin, Nairobi or Lagos
About ENGIE BU Africa ENGIE Energy Access (EEA)
ENGIE Energy Access is a leading Pay-As-You-Go (PAYGo) and mini-grids solutions provider in Africa, with a mission to deliver affordable, reliable and sustainable energy solutions and life-changing services with exceptional customer experience. The company is a result of the integration of Fenix International, ENGIE Mobisol and ENGIE PowerCorner; and develops innovative, off-grid solar solutions for homes, public services and businesses, enabling customers and distribution partners access to clean, affordable energy. The PAYGo solar home systems are financed through affordable installments from $0.14 per day and the mini-grids foster economic development by enabling electrical productive use and triggering business opportunities for entrepreneurs in rural communities.
With over 1,700 employees, operations in nine countries across Africa (Benin, Cote d’Ivoire, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia), over 1 million customers and more than 5 million lives impacted so far, ENGIE Energy Access aims to remain a leading clean energy company, serving millions of customers across Africa by 2025.
We are looking for a talented, full-stack data scientist to join the digital team to help deliver affordable solar power to emerging markets. This position offers a great opportunity to work alongside an elite team of data scientists and business professionals and directly contribute to the success of a mission driven company with social and environmental impact. Candidates will get the opportunity to work in a diverse technology stack at scale.
- Deploy and maintain data pipelines and machine learning models to predict repayment, solar system device performance, credit scoring and other metrics which are key to the business.
- Contribute to design and maintenance of an analytics database to empower data-driven decisions by analysts and strategists across the organization.
- Design randomized, controlled experiments to understand levers available to improve customer repayment.
- Perform analyses, with statistical components as appropriate, for department leaders to evaluate the impact of pilots and other interventions.
- Leverage external data sources to help EEA grow its business and maximize social impact on customers in emerging markets.
- Train team members on data tools / skills to grow data capacity and culture at EEA.
Knowledge and skills
- 3+ years of relevant experience
- Strong Python, especially in a data analytics/science capacity (ex. pandas, numpy, sklearn, matplotlib)
- Facility with MySQL/Redshift
- Experience with experimental design, statistical analysis, and interpretation of qualitative and quantitative data.
- Good knowledge of statistical tests and analysis
- Ability to communicate model outputs and analyses to stakeholders at various levels of technical expertise
- Experience deploying predictive models at scale
- Keen eye for detail and thoughtful investigation of data before relying upon it
- Demonstrated expertise in strategic analysis to impact decisions
- Thrives on teamwork
- Bonus: Experience with financial data or credit scoring
- MA or PhD in a relevant discipline (Data Science, Software Engineering, Statistics, or another relevant STEM field)
- French or Portuguese is a plus
- Python or R, jupyter notebooks
- Airflow (or other workflow management systems, such as Luigi)
- Knowledge of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and its services, such as, but not limited to, Cloudwatch, RDS, Redshift, Lambda, EMR, S3, SQS, EC2
- AWS environment: Cloudwatch, RDS, Redshift, Lambda, EMR, SQS, EC2
- Statistical analysis and predictive modeling in python (scipy, stats, sklearn, etc)
ENGIE is an equal opportunity employer, promoting diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all. All applications are screened based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without any regard to origin, age, name, sexual identity, orientation or preference, religion, marital status, health, disability, political opinions, union involvement or citizenship. Our differences are our strengths!