Job Title: Mozambique Head of Customer Finance
Department: Customer Finance
Reporting line: Mozambique Head of Customer Experience and Customer Finance
Location: Maputo, Mozambique
About ENGIE BU Africa ENGIE Energy Access (EEA)
ENGIE Energy Access is a leading Pay-As-You-Go (PAYGo) and mini-grids solutions provider in Africa, with a mission to deliver affordable, reliable and sustainable energy solutions and life-changing services with exceptional customer experience. The company is a result of the integration of Fenix International, ENGIE Mobisol and ENGIE PowerCorner; and develops innovative, off-grid solar solutions for homes, public services and businesses, enabling customers and distribution partners access to clean, affordable energy. The PAYGo solar home systems are financed through affordable installments from $0.14 per day and the mini-grids foster economic development by enabling electrical productive use and triggering business opportunities for entrepreneurs in rural communities.
With over 1,700 employees, operations in nine countries across Africa (Benin, Cote d’Ivoire, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia), over 1 million customers and more than 5 million lives impacted so far, ENGIE Energy Access aims to remain a leading clean energy company, serving millions of customers across Africa by 2025.
ENGIE Energy Access (EEA) Moçambique is looking for a dynamic and entrepreneurial Head of Customer Finance to take on a unique leadership role in a rapidly growing company at the front lines of renewable energy and mobile payment technology. Candidates should expect a fast-paced startup culture, and will be expected to take ownership of a wide range of responsibilities to help develop EEA Moçambique into a mature business over the coming years.
The role will report to the Head of CX and Commercial and will work cross-functionally with our commercial, customer experience, product development, operations, marketing, and technical teams on the ground to develop, scale and manage a best-in-class credit operation, to manage credit risk, and to provide an exceptional experience to our customers.
As Head of Customer Finance, you will be based in Maputo, Mozambique with regular travel to the field. You will develop and manage a Customer Finance (Credit) team and create and execute on a strategy that can directly influence customers’ repayment behavior, their positive experience with EEA Moçambique, and their ongoing loyalty to the brand—all crucial to the success of the business and in increasing access to financing for BOP consumers. And you will have responsibility for the overall management of credit risk at EEA Moçambique.
Customer Finance Strategy, Analytics & Innovation
- Lead development of the cross-functional Customer Finance Strategy, Customer Finance Performance Management Dashboard and action plans
- Consolidate quantitative and qualitative inputs from our customers and other sources to fully understand the repayment performance of our customers.
- Design and implement A/B tests to identify the most powerful ways we can improve customer repayment behavior
- Structure and implement customer insight research projects, such as mapping the financial lives of households, to deepen our understanding of what drives repayment behaviors and use the data insight from the above to scale any that are effective in improving customer repayment patterns
Credit Risk Monitoring & Management
- Monitor, assess, and anticipate credit risk across the portfolio, and proactively and sustainably manage credit risk exposure in line with EEA’s strategy and targets.
- Lead the Credit Risk Committee and ensure credit risk is accurately reported, and adequately provisioned.
Scalable Credit Operations
- Envision, implement and manage the systems, tools, structures, team and processes needed to support a highly effective and efficient credit operation that can serve tens of thousands of customers, localizing EEA’s standards wherever possible
- Improve the way we collect ongoing quantitative and qualitative data for each customer interaction to gain richer insight into their experience and repayment behavior
- Monitor and optimize the cost of loan servicing to strike the right balance between effectiveness and cost efficiency
Responsible Credit Culture
- Ensure a responsible, engaging, and customer-centric approach to financial services at EEA at all points in the customer journey, and across all areas of the business.
Team Building & Management
- Build a team that is passionate about our mission and embodies EEA’s values, And Manage the team and day to day operations related to Customer Finance
- Collaborate with other EEA market teams & EEA Global team to leverage best practices from EEA Moçambique, implement best practices from the EEA network and brainstorm solutions to common challenges.
At EEA, we have high expectations for our managers. Each manager plays a key role in creating an exceptional experience not only for our customers but for every person on our team. Our managers help EEA realize our ambitious goals while developing their own leadership skills and facilitating growth for their direct reports.
We believe that great managers:
- Deliver ambitious results: As a high-performing and accountable leader, you create an enabling environment for effective action and bold decision which contribute to successful delivery of results.
- Act with integrity: As an ethical leader you are honest, respectful, objective, and transparent. You create and build upon a foundation of trust and openness.
- Inspire and mentor the team: As an inspirational leader you walk the talk. You empower and coach your team with trust and humility.
- Are accessible: as an accessible leader, you develop and maintain deep connections with stakeholders through approachability and active listening.
- Ensure diversity and inclusion: as an inclusive leader, you ensure diversity and foster a sense of belonging.
Knowledge and skills
- Related experience in a comparable sector, such as in Digital Financial Services, in a Telecom, or for a Financial Institution (particularly where the customer base was similar to that of EEA)
- Experience with customer segmentation and customer profiling / personas
- Experience working with and implementing projects through commission-based field staff in an emerging market
- Experience in process development and improvement (Six Sigma, etc.)
- Experience in design thinking (a.k.a. human-centered design)
- Data Systems and Analysis: strong experience with Tableau/Power BI/data visualization software is a huge plus.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and teams, especially in a high-growth and performance-driven environment
- Solid understanding of credit risk and consumer lending
- Bachelor’s degree (required)
- Master’s degree in a related field (desired)
- 5 years minimum work experience, at least 3 of which was in a role which involved strategy development and people management
- 2 to 3 years minimum work experience in related areas or sectors such as microfinance, digital financial services, project management, data analysis, or field team management
- English (fluent)
- Portuguese (fluent)
- Advanced quantitative analysis skills and proficiency in MS Office/One Drive Tools
- High level of comfort working with data, with the ability to translate analysis to insights, and insights to action
- Data systems: strong experience with SQL/Tableau/Power BI/data visualization software
ENGIE is an equal opportunity employer, promoting diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all. All applications are screened based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without any regard to origin, age, name, sexual identity, orientation or preference, religion, marital status, health, disability, political opinions, union involvement or citizenship. Our differences are our strengths!
A significant exposure to Ethics risk given the geographical footprint (9 African markets) and type of activities (B2C, with large sales force on the field), this hire is critical for business continuity.
Work authorization for living and working in Mozambique is required for this role.