Job Title: Operations & Technical Manager, Zambia
Reporting line: Head of Minigrids, Zambia
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
About ENGIE Energy Access
ENGIE Energy Access is a leading Pay-As-You-Go (PAYGo) and mini-grids solutions provider in Africa, with a mission to deliver affordable, reliable and sustainable energy solutions and life-changing services with exceptional customer experience. The company is a result of the integration of Fenix International, ENGIE Mobisol and ENGIE PowerCorner; and develops innovative, off-grid solar solutions for homes, public services and businesses, enabling customers and distribution partners access to clean, affordable energy. The PAYGo solar home systems are financed through affordable installments from $0.14 per day and the mini-grids foster economic development by enabling electrical productive use and triggering business opportunities for entrepreneurs in rural communities.
With over 1,700 employees, operations in nine countries across Africa (Benin, Cote d’Ivoire, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia), over 1 million customers and more than 5 million lives impacted so far, ENGIE Energy Access aims to remain a leading clean energy company, serving millions of customers across Africa by 2025.
Within EEA, ENGIE PowerCorner is providing sustainable, affordable and reliable energy services to rural populations in Zambia and several other countries in Sub-Sahara Africa through smart solar minigrids, using a combination of key innovations: standardized, low-cost production units including PV panels and batteries, a distribution network with smart prepaid meters and payments through mobile money.
In order to accelerate its developments in Zambia, ENGIE PowerCorner Zambia (EPCZ) is looking for an Operations & Technical Manager to reinforce the team.
The Operations & Technical Manager will be responsible for defining, together with the Head of Minigrids Zambia, the strategy of minigrid developments in Zambia, and for steering diverse innovation, technical and commercial projects. He/She will also providing the team with high-quality independent technical advice and assistance on technical and operational viability of new and existing activities within ENGIE PowerCorner Zambia. He/she will work closely with the Managing Director, Commercial Manager, Cluster managers and Financial Manager as well as the Europe-based ENGIE PowerCorner HQ team. The Operations and Technical Manager will be responsible for the technical designs, schedule, procurement, coordination and supervision of all EPC contractors from tendering, construction and maintenance of future mini-grids in Zambia. He/she will work closely with the Technicians to monitor the performance of all installations and maintenance operations.
- General project management and oversight of all EPC contracting, and construction works up to point of commissioning.
- Participation in project technical design and coordination with Commercial and Financial teams for various tender programs
- Preparation of Capex estimations and Operations plans/budgets to maintain and improve operations of the each respective site.
- Engage and influence local stakeholders on best practices for Operational, HSSE implementation and management.
- Mentor and coach local Technicians in basic and preventive maintenance as well as management of day to day operations of all minigrids
- Internal and External reporting of Service Quality, HSSE Inspections and overall technical performance of each minigrid.
- Ensure strict adherence and compliance to HSSE standards determined by the group and engineering standards established locally for minigrids
- Management of procurement for all Capex and customs authorities
At A2E, we have high expectations for our managers. Each manager plays a key role in creating an exceptional experience not only for our customers but for every person on our team. Our managers help A2E realize our ambitious goals while developing their own leadership skills and facilitating growth for their direct reports.
We believe that great managers:
- Deliver ambitious results: As a high-performing and accountable leader, you create an enabling environment for effective action and bold decision which contribute to successful delivery of results.
- Act with integrity: As an ethical leader you are honest, respectful, objective, and transparent. You create and build upon a foundation of trust and openness.
- Inspire and mentor the team: As an inspirational leader you walk the talk. You empower and coach your team with trust and humility.
- Are accessible: as an accessible leader, you develop and maintain deep connections with stakeholders through approachability and active listening.
- Ensure diversity and inclusion: as an inclusive leader, you ensure diversity and foster a sense of belonging.
Knowledge and skills
- Relatable/comprehensive experience in Project Management and working with EPC contractors
- Exceptional skills in installation of LV networks, field electrical maintenance and troubleshooting
- Proven ability to analyze electrical drawings and protections.
- Exposure working in electricity, telecoms, mining and international institutions
- Active Member of EIZ
Experience & Qualifications
- Passionate about local rural village economics
- Structured and attention to detail
- Organized and time-conscious
- Strong analytical background
- Having IT skills.
- Ability to work well in diverse teams and Optimistic team player
- Minimum 2 years of working experience in project management
- Experience with GIS is a plus
- Basic Qualification:
- Bachelor Degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- Post Graduate Studies in Electronics (Added Advantage)
- Having good written and spoken communication abilities in English
- French is a plus
What we offer:
- Contribution to a highly inspiring and purposeful business development activity
- Actively participate in defining and building tomorrow’s business models for energy access
- A secure position in a company combining the strengths of a start-up in terms of agility and those of a multinational in terms of financial and business support.
- Being part of a passionate and professional team based in Lusaka, Zambia
- Competitive pay
ENGIE is an equal opportunity employer, promoting diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all. All applications are screened based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without any regard to origin, age, name, sexual identity, orientation or preference, religion, marital status, health, disability, political opinions, union involvement or citizenship. Our differences are our strengths!