The Research Specialist will be responsible for keeping current with the research and science relevant to Farm Sanctuary's mission. These areas of research include, but are not limited to: farm animal sentience; ethology and natural history; factory farming, the environment; social justice and our food system; meat and plant-based diets; farm transformation—cultural, economic shifts, and trends in plant-based living. This role reports to the Chief Communications, Content and Brand Creative Officer and works across teams to provide information that informs and helps Farm Sanctuary craft the programs and messaging that move our mission forward.
- In collaboration with the directors of Education and Communications, establish and become familiar with the primary sources used to gather the research and data that support Education, Advocacy, and Communications efforts—including but not limited to the USDA, EPA, independent studies, academic research. Establish acceptable criteria and research standards for Farm Sanctuary.
- Identify and maintain relationships with the “go-to” experts used to source, confirm, and complement qualitative and quantitative data used across platforms and across teams.
- Source, build, and maintain the official database of “facts” used to inform Education, Advocacy, Communications, Visitor Experiences, Development, and other stakeholders as needed on issues core to our mission. This should be an evolving, constantly current resource for multiple stakeholders.
- Collaborate with Education and Communications to identify and source research needed to write and create new species based website pages to launch in 2020.
- Work with writers and designers to turn data into infographics.
- Serve as researcher and fact-checker for Sanctuary magazine, issue literature/brochures, website fact cards, email marketing, blog posts, newsletter articles, video scripts, tour scripts, displays, social posts, infographics, op-ed’s, advocacy and marketing campaigns, plus leadership presentations.
- Source the information and data used to inform position statements on evolving, developing, and controversial issues core to our mission.
- 5 to 8 years experience in publishing research, scientific research or journalism
- Bachelors or relevant experience
- Excellent analytical and organization skills
- Experienced with advanced Boolean searches, news alert setup, social media monitoring and tools such a Factiva, Bloomberg Research
- Experience with academic research, including sourcing academic and scientific journals
- Skilled in interpretation and critical analysis of complex quantitative data
- The ability to work in a highly collaborative and interdisciplinary environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong project management skills; ability to set priorities, and work independently essential
- Experience or willingness to learn document and informational management apps such as Devon Think pro, Zotero
- Familiarity with and interest in Farm Sanctuary’s vision, mission, and ethos
This position can be located in New York, NY or Los Angles, CA. Please apply directly through LinkedIn.